Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this naked '82 GW last fall and have been fixing the many things that are wrong with it.

Anyways I have it running pretty good and have taken it for a few very short rides around the block. Keep in mind it is full winter up here in Calgary but we do get the odd warm spell. The roads have lots of loose gravel an patches of ice so I go very slow.

I find that at very low speeds the bars/front wheel feels like it want to turn rather than go straight. It feels like it I took my hands off the bars the front wheel would turn fully one way or the other rather than go straight. When I speed up a bit it tracks straight. Does that sound like something is wrong?

Brian

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
How old are the tires? And the condition of them?
Tire pressures are very important check before each ride, 38-42PSI on the front, 40-44PSI rear. Too low and they will wander lots.
Head bearings, did you clean them , regrease and retorque them? Too tight will make it wander and over correct. Too loose can be a problem too.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old are the tires? And the condition of them?
Tire pressures are very important check before each ride, 38-42PSI on the front, 40-44PSI rear. Too low and they will wander lots.
Head bearings, did you clean them , regrease and retorque them? Too tight will make it wander and over correct. Too loose can be a problem too.
Thanks for the response. The tires are new and at correct pressure. I will check the head bearings.

Brian

·
Administrator
28,065 Posts
Are the brakes free, not dragging?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
tires

I bought this naked '82 GW last fall and have been fixing the many things that are wrong with it.

Anyways I have it running pretty good and have taken it for a few very short rides around the block. Keep in mind it is full winter up here in Calgary but we do get the odd warm spell. The roads have lots of loose gravel an patches of ice so I go very slow.

I find that at very low speeds the bars/front wheel feels like it want to turn rather than go straight. It feels like it I took my hands off the bars the front wheel would turn fully one way or the other rather than go straight. When I speed up a bit it tracks straight. Does that sound like something is wrong?

Brian
is the rotation correct ? look at the arrow on the tire

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, brakes or OK, I just overhauled them.

This morning I tried just sitting on the bike in the garage. If I turn the bars one way or the other the forks want to "fall" to that side. When I turn the bars to straight ahead it feels like the bike is lifting slightly. But this seems like the natural result of the "trail" in the steering geometry; the contact point of the tire is behind the axis of rotation of the forks.

I did a search on RAKE and TRAIL and found several discussions about low speed tendency to turn in when leaned into a corner. Maybe it is normal for GWs.

Brian

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please take a look at the photo below. I was suspicious that there was something amiss with the rake/trail, especially the trail. So I set it up level and with a plumb line. I also marked the contact point of the front tire.

When I draw a line trough the steering stem and measure the angle to plumb I get 29-30 degrees which i think is right. If I extend that line down to the floor and measure the trail I get about 6.5". Does that seem excessive.

Is there some combination of triple trees from other years that would fit but give the wrong offset of the forks?

Thanks in advance
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.