Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,



Well, my 83 1100 still has an issue. After gently washing off the engine, it seemed my idle increased to around 1200-1300, and is a bit erratic. I'm also noticing that it seems to be missing at that idle speed. I checked as many vacuum hoses as I could see (well, only one, really, the others were fuel or PCV related). I found one loose, but even after connecting it, I still idle too high. Funny thing, though, is that before it gets warm, it seems to idle at 950, steady. After warming up, though, and hitting the throttle, it jumps to 12-1300 and bounces back and forth, unsteady.



I would greatly appreciate any more insight into this matter. I'd love to be able to fix it myself without going back into the shop.. Oh, I should say that the carbs were synched very recently, and the bike ran fine before washing the engine and battery area. Oh, that's right,forgot to mention I rinsed behind the battery box area, as well as under the seat pan.



Jack

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

Did ya pull off the spark plug boots and check for moisture around the spark plugs? Water tends to like to congregate in the well holes if they are clogged up. It caught me big time the first time I got the bike wet.

Raymond
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah...checked the boot plugs. Thanks for the advice, though.

Still wondering.... :(
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Yeah...checked the boot plugs. Thanks for the advice, though.

Still wondering.... :(
Put the bike in a garage with a fan on it over night. If that doesn't do it go over it with a compressed airblow gun. You've got water in something just needs to be dried out. Possibly some in carbs. Try some fuel line dryer in the tank
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

exavid wrote:
jsmith24 wrote:
Yeah...checked the boot plugs. Thanks for the advice, though.

Still wondering.... :(
Put the bike in a garage with a fan on it over night. If that doesn't do it go over it with a compressed airblow gun. You've got water in something just needs to be dried out. Possibly some in carbs. Try some fuel line dryer in the tank
I knew I forgot to mention something in my original post! This happened two weeks ago. I've gone through two or threetanks of gas, about 600 miles or more, used the MMO just for kicks. I know I didn't spray the carbs (should have mentioned that too) - I stayed totally under the carb/intake manifold area.

I don't mean to come across as ungrateful, really. I'm just irritated at myself for not having put everything in the first post. :(

Thanks again,

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
475 Posts
imported post

you might have got the ignition coils wet. Try spraying wd40 on the sparkplug wires and coils, if you can reach up there. a little moisture on the plug wires can wreak havoc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll try the WD40...but wait, won't that cause a short as well?

Also, I just read something in my Clymer's about checking the "carburetor idle circuits", but of course, it doesn't mention it ANYWHERE else in the book. What's up with that?

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
imported post

There are several things that affect engine idle.. You didn't tell us how the bike was performing prior to the engine wash.

WD40 is a water dispersant and will NOT short anytning out electrically. Feel free to spray it anywhere on the engine.. It will also find vacuum leaks and dry out in time.

Depending on how much water pressure was used during the clean down, there may be a vacuum line that is cracked or split. Spray WD40 on one carb at a time and related hoses at a time with the engine idling. If there is an immediate change in rpm where you spray,, that is the suspect area.

Were the carbs balanced prior to the clean up? What is the plug gap set at? Is the air filter clean and not wet with moisture? When cleaning an engine, lubricating grease can also be washed away. The repair manual will tell you what moving parts need to be lubricated on the carb set, especially the main idle screw.

My feeling is that a vacuum hose has been damaged, or a throttle shaft is sticking.

Keep us up to date on this one...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hi all,



Well, my 83 1100 still has an issue. After gently washing off the engine, it seemed my idle increased to around 1200-1300, and is a bit erratic. I'm also noticing that it seems to be missing at that idle speed. I checked as many vacuum hoses as I could see (well, only one, really, the others were fuel or PCV related). I found one loose, but even after connecting it, I still idle too high. Funny thing, though, is that before it gets warm, it seems to idle at 950, steady. After warming up, though, and hitting the throttle, it jumps to 12-1300 and bounces back and forth, unsteady.



I would greatly appreciate any more insight into this matter. I'd love to be able to fix it myself without going back into the shop.. Oh, I should say that the carbs were synched very recently, and the bike ran fine before washing the engine and battery area. Oh, that's right,forgot to mention I rinsed behind the battery box area, as well as under the seat pan.

Jack, if you got any water in the throttle cables at the hand grip it might notreturn to a base idle & that will give you all kinds of erratic idle problems.

If the engine runs good at all speeds except idle you probably don't have spark plug problems or a wet intake.

You could also have a failing idle air cut-off diaphragm. When those start to go the idle gets real erratic.

Twisty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
imported post

how old are your HT leads (spark plug leads) they get porous and absorb moisture try some new or spray them with a special coating.:clapper::15red::weightlifter:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top