Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 82 GL1100I I need to replace the temp sending unit I know where it is I need to know the best way to get to it seems there a lot in the way. Has any one ever attempted to do this I can't find any thing on this subject on any of the usual site I'd appreciate any helpful ideas.
Thanks tater

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
The sending unit is located below the carbs about front center. Just did one last week . Pretty well have to unhook carbs and move them to the left to get at it. Are you sure it is the sending unit and not the gauge or regulator? In the picture you can see the unit ( with green on it)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the gas gage work fine and I had the back off the gages and grounded it and it went over to hot side so I know they work I guess I'd better get some O rings for the intake tubes I'd like to thank you for your insight I guess me and the old wing are going to have some me time this weekend thanks again GL Grezmonki.
Thanks Tater

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
You do not have to touch the coolant crossover pipes. Just unhook the carbs ( best to remove the intakes as it will give you more wiggle room) The one I worked on a short time ago had a faulty connection at the switch head so I got lucky and did not have to remove the sending unit. If you do remove the unit remember to drain the coolant . If the coolant is relatively new you can re-use it, provided you drain it into a clean pan. If not get some new silicate free coolant. You might get lucky too and find a bad connection......

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I had to change mine couple weeks ago. I guess I was really lucky with mine. The end was broke on the sending unit. With the single carb. set up, I just used a 18mm socket and a long extention . It was a little tight but I got it. 20 minute job. The temp. sending I use was the one I got from Auto Zone. Good luck Dan

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok GL Grezmonki You where right on what you told me about the carbs I've got the sending unit soaking in some penetrating lube no need to get in a rush and snap it off been there a few times.
Do you know the toque specs for the carburetor intake pipe bolts the manual doesn't say or I just can't find it.
Thanks Tater

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I don't think there are any torque #'s specified for those bolts . Just nip them up. Make certain the o ring is in good shape and in place. When you have the intakes pipes off be certain to cover the holes with rags or tuck tape

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey GL Grezmonki
Well I got the sending unit in wasn't to bad to do I replaced the intake O rings with new one's the others were brittle no sense in asking for trouble I like to thank you and Danny Boy for you're input.
Thanks Tater

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.