Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help, My 1981 wing GL 1100 has little or no throttle return. remove the cables, oil them, Check the throttle at the handle bars thing are good there and remove the push cable then throttle spring at carb was shot with WD 40 and things got better for 3 day it snap back. but now it stick all the time. took the spring off and check it out, looked fine. restall it with 1/2 turn put the bolt in, didn't help

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Did you remove the inner cables to check for a frayed cable? Another frequent problem is a throttle lock mis adjusted and binding on the end of the throttle grip tube.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
There can be several causes for this problem. If the bike sat out in the weather it could be all of them. First, it could be the throttle assembly itself. Mine was all gunked up when I got it. I took it apart, cleaned it and lubricated it with white lithium grease. The cables were also binding. While I had the throttle off and the cables disconnected, I made small funnels out of the soft plastic covers that go over alligator clips on test leads (I'm sure other things will work as well) and filled them with WD-40. as it drained down into the cables, I kept putting more until it started dripping out the other end. Then I sprayed WD-40 all over the throttle linkage as well. It worked like new. That was 2 years ago, I have lubed the cables once since then.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
have you checked the free play in the cables ? a cable that is adjusted too tight will case this too.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Instead of WD40, use a cable lube. WD stands for water displacement. It's not a very good lube otherwise.

Hobie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.