Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i think i have found what my problem is. when i tried putting belts on i must have gotten cams totally out. i feel i have at least 3 valves bent. i was warned this could happen if i adjusted something the wrong way. i thank everyone for there help and putting up with me though my problem. i wll move on to taking heads off and getting my knowledge in line before i start.this was a good lesson for me,cost some money ,but could be worse! again thank you hoghideman or gerald

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

That was bad luck Gerald. If it's just bent valves, the good news is they are not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I hope its just your valve adjustment. That will do it too. David

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

The lesson here is, never move anything when you take the belts off. Line up the marks, remove them, replace them and nothing bad can happen.
You should have just added this to your other thread so everyone knows what this is about.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/122469.html

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Yes, please get into 1 thread on the bike problem and keep all info there so we can help if we can LOL

I just happened to see this new thread myself just now, wondered how you been doing after my posts in the other thread and PM's and not seeing anything new yet posted back in that other thread.
Also it helps others in future if we get your problem fixed and all info is in one thread where others with same problem can find it later too.

Are you sure you bent the valves, how?
Before buying parts if your sure the valves are bent, you should pull the heads and look at the piston tops then. Or better yet use one of those camera things and look inside before pulling heads! I forget the name of the camera things off hand.
Only way to bend the valve is to whack the piston, bad news if the piston is damaged also!

My offer to ride by still stands if you'd like.
I know you said you'd never ask someone to ride 400 miles one way LOL
But hey, I rode 300 mile round trip just for breakfast again Wednesday LOL

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

did you hand crank it around a few times?...i guess not...bummer

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

hoghideman

Before you pull the heads do a compression test. Head gaskets aren't cheap and you must use OEM gaskets. Even cold but with the throttle wide open it will tell you if you have a major valve problem. If the compression tests pretty uniform across all cylinders I'd say you don't have a bent valve. If you get zero compression on any cylinders you have a problem.

The camera idea is good too. I think Harbor Freight and Home Depot have such a camera.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dave, I did not know the HF did not fit.
I been planning to buy one for such a use, now I'll have to check rather it works for my other engines first I guess.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

C'mon, guys. You're working too hard. If a valve is bent, you can CLEARLY hear it during cranking with the kill switch in off position. The obvious compression pulses will be uneven. You will hear 2 or 3 pulses and 1 or 2 where the motor freewheels through the compression stroke, depending on how many valves are bent. If a valve is bent in each cylinder, the engine will spin freely with no resistance. Not a good thing. If you hear 4 even compression pulses, no bent valve. I had a bent valve and it was obvious during cranking. Also, valves adjusted WAY too tight will offer the same result.

John

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Over tightening the valves where they don't seal could also give the impression of bent or sticking valve not sealing.

Another test would be turn the engine over by hand with 1 plug installed at a time, see if you find a cylinder that is not building pressure.
Kinda a poor mans compression test without the tools.

Need to make about 2-4 full turns on the crank to test 1 cylinder at a time. Only takes 2 turns for a cycle, unless you start in the middle of one, so turn till it builds the pressure and gets harder to turn, and listen for any hissing also, or turn 4 full turns on crank if you don't feel any pressure just to be certain you did go past the compression stroke at least one full stroke!

Well, got to run, no time to proof read or spell check LOL

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Just turn it over with the starter, all plugs removed, and put your thumb over the sparkpug holes, one at a time and you will know instantly if you have compression in each cylinder.

It would probably be more cost effective to pick up a couple of used heads than to buy the valves.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Yep, lots of ways to test it.
I prefer doing it by hand to get a feel for it LOL

Going slow by hand with no noise sometimes you can hear if a cylinder has a leak, more hissing than the others.
By hand you can feel how hard each cylinder is to turn past the compression stroke. If one is only half as hard as the other three then it has some problem.

Thumb over an open hole works too I guess, but it may be a bit harder to tell if it's 80lbs pressure or 125lbs. I'm not sure what it should be off hand, but you can have some pressure there and think it's good enough and it not really be enough to run.
Also if valves are off just a little and leaking down you might feel the pressure with thumb but not hear the hiss.

I think we all have our own tricks that work well for us for various things. For people that may have a bit less experience than some of us though our tricks may not work as well for them.

Also of course, with all plugs out, turn the engine several times by hand and make sure nothing is hitting in there FIRST!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

david,how are you.i appreciate all the information you gave me on valves and timing. i checked the compression on my cyls. and found 3 that the intake valves were bent. i have pulled the heads and as soon as my parts get here i will repair and get it back together.again,thank you for all your knowledge and help. hoghideman

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i just bought a new bore scope from the matco guy at work that has a 5mm head smaller than a pencil its super handy

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

hoghideman wrote:
david,how are you.i appreciate all the information you gave me on valves and timing. i checked the compression on my cyls. and found 3 that the intake valves were bent. i have pulled the heads and as soon as my parts get here i will repair and get it back together.again,thank you for all your knowledge and help. hoghideman
Sorry to hear you actually had 3 bent valves in there.

When you put it back together remember to turn by hand several times and check it before using the starter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.