Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So this 1100 I have has sat for many years and was worked on a few times and Im trying to figure everything out that was done improper in my view. So the timing belt were off so I bought new belts. I brought it up to T1 mark and lined the cam wheels to the marks, but it back fires, timing yep. So if your on T1 thats fine and dandy but in theory one or both of the cams could be 180 degrees out. I hate to go buy a manual for it not to say anything about it. Im sure someone has had this happen before though. Oh and no binding as you turn the engine over by hand either. I pulled the plugs too. Am I thinking about it to hard or what?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, Im trying to hard.... I'll pull the valve covers and check the valves and go ahead and adjust them while Im at it.

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
I brought it up to T1 mark and lined the cam wheels to the marks, but it back fires, timing yep. So if your on T1 thats fine and dandy but in theory one or both of the cams could be 180 degrees out.

1 cam can be 180º out from the other but both can't be, if you then turn one of them 180º they are back in time. It would run with one of them 180º out but both cylinders, front or rear, would fire at the same time. What you probably have is the plug wires mixed up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the wires twice yesterday, there good think I have one 180 out going to pull the covers and check valve adjustments this should help me figure which one is out. Either during the A or B adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Like Dave said, if one cam is 180 out out of alignment, you have what's called a Big Bang engine. You would get the cylinders that share a coil firing TOGETHER rather than 360* out of phase from each other. So instead of a nice, smooth "bang, bang, bang, bang" you would have a "BANG, BANG, rest, rest".

What you would have is a hill climber! Massive torque with momentary pause to re-grip the sand!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I re-did the timing belts checked the wires even adjusted the valves still pops like it out of time. Which I hate to say now leads me to the Timing, since i dont want to remove the swing arm like the book say's but this where I'm headed in a few minutes to see if I can see anything damaged.

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
What book are you going by for the coil to plug diagram? 1 of them has it wrong, should be 1234 right to left.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep on the right plugs but going to check the wiring to each coil now, Have been checking resistance in everything that I could so far its all good.

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
OK, just for grins switch the wires from the front cylinders to the back, easier to do it at the coils.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just back fired with plugs crossed. Do you see anything wrong. Also checking firing with timing light fires right on with the Mark's. Has to be valve timing issue I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really think now its a exhaust problem Im about to drop the pipes and find out, wouldnt be the first time vermin built nets in pipes!

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
I think I would put the right cam back 1 notch but that's not enough to cause your problem. Is it backfiring through the intake? I just worked on a little Honda XR70 last week, when I first got it started it didn't make any exhaust noise then it spat out a bunch of acorns.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got a louder Bang any way!!!! Wife had to come see if I blew the garage up!! LMAO! I'm at a loss going to give it a rest, maybe I can get my Honda tech to take a look he's off tomorrow anyway. He one's me one for fixing his truck any way. If that doesnt work i will pull the heads and look for something wrong with them. Since im sure the firing order is right. Only thing i can think is maybe a bent valve from prior to my getting it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well at least I know Im not losing my mind, on this bike anyway!

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
A compression check and/or leakdown test would have saved a lot of time.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, I got to get a adapter for my gauge. When I tried, mine was too big.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts