Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, my 82 gl 1100 has 52000 miles on it. i pulled the timing covers off to inspect belts, they look like new still. I dont know if they have been changed ever, they have OE honda writing on them. No cracks, maybe a little loose, should i change them anyway? when does honda say to change them? thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

yes. you have the covers off already it takes what 20 min to do the change. also write on the inside of the cover with a maker the date you changed them.:shock:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

My 77 still has the originals at 215,000 miles and they still look good. The Honda shop manual says to "inspect" at a top end overhaul. Mine has never had a top end overhaul. I think these belts get changed too often. I have never actually met anybody who broke a belt.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I bought belts for my 1200 at NAPA Auto store.... they were $10.50 each. Change them and you know what you have. Granted, they do run a long time..... but if one breaks, 20 bucks is a drop in the hat compared to a top end rebuild. Maybe thats why your being told to change at a top end rebuild...... cuz the old one finally broke.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

Like DB said, it's cheap insurance. If a belt breaks then you have went from a very good reliable engine to a very efficient boat anchor.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

also they don't have to break. they get pretty loose and could jump a tooth or two, if i mean when you get on it, and that's just as bad. mine looked good but they where really loose so off they came. they still look good laying in the floor too. but now my new ones are tight and one less thing to worry about.:action:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I've adjusted the tension on mine several times but I still have yet to run into anybody that has experienced a broken belt. Cheap or not, you might think you are accomplishing something by changing them frequently or you may run into a new belt with a flaw that does break.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I remember a friend of mine broke a timing belt on his 83 1100. He had just started it and was letting it warm up . He was lucky that it happened at idle and he only bent 3 valves. Any higher rpm would most likely bend more valves and poke a hole in a piston or two. That bike did not have high miles , around 60k. He was the original owner and the belts had never been changed.So changing belts is cheap insurance and may save you from trashing your engine. It may also save you from sliding down the road upside down should a belt break and possibly lock an engine....GM

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i don't know if changing them at 53000 miles is frequent but even some cars are recomended to be changed at 50000 just to insure you have no major overhauls to do. change um becuase it's the right thing to do. honda would love for you to not change them they want to sell you the parts to fix it. some belts might run 300000 and some want run 35000 which ones do you have?

sorry i couldn't help it i'll be quite now.:(:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

Automobile manufacturers recommend changing belts at 60,000 miles in 49 states. In California the same manufacturers recommend 105,000 because of a state law that prohibits major maintenance before 100,000 miles. The only difference is the owner's manual. The belts are the same.

Manufacturers do not want their belts or anything else to fail and go to great lengths to ensure that they do not. At least for the last 50 years for Japanese manufacturers and the last 20 for American.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

Dancinbear wrote:
I bought belts for my 1200 at NAPA Auto store.... they were $10.50 each. Change them and you know what you have. Granted, they do run a long time..... but if one breaks, 20 bucks is a drop in the hat compared to a top end rebuild. Maybe thats why your being told to change at a top end rebuild...... cuz the old one finally broke.
Better price than here. I paid $60.00 for two here.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

actually you copied that from gary fishmans web site or one like it and that pertains to the miata. i rest my case. change um you want be sorry. belts are belts they shouldn't be expected to last for 217000 miles and some don't. ok i'm done. go ahead on sfruechte it's your turn but i think he get's the point. 20 bucks for the pair at autozone

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

of course everyone is entitled to opinion mine being once i've gone to lengths to inspect or tension, 20.00 bucks more :shock: wth get it done.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

I've seen LOTS of broken belts, or to be more correct, teeth come loose, with bent valves and sometimes smashed pistons as a result. Not on bikes though, my profession is cars. I've evenhad it happen to myself.But anyone is entitled to their own opinionabout their own belts, thoughmy advice is to change them. For your own safety.:cool:

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

bamadave wrote:
Dancinbear wrote:
Better price than here. I paid $60.00 for two here.
Yup....... I have seen what others have been paying and just can't believe it. (my nearest Honda stealer wanted 35 bucks a piece and a hour away) The other parts houses in town were around 15$. Either the parts dude goofed or some of you guys are getting boned. BTW.... he asked me how I knew that particular NAPA belt would work on a Goldwing. I told him the good lads on Goldwingfacts.com listed this belt # from NAPA. He was impressed with ya'lls knowledge. NOW........he's got a sign by the cash register that says, "Napa Timing Belts for Honda Goldwings" since then, he has sold several sets. I'm a cool guy at the NAPA store these days............

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

you look like a cool dude anyway. you need to get out in the sun more though!:D:cheeky1::D:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.