Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What' up? I am a new member to this site as well as thegoldwing motorcycle. I rescued a 1980 standard from my dads garage. He bought the bike to help out a friend who was in money trouble,about ten years ago. I was friends with alot of people who rode, so i thought this would be a good, cheap way to go ride. I was wronge. It was fun but not cheap. After i replaced the gas tank,rebuilt the carbs,rebuilt the brakes,replaced the coils and wires fluids and battery, i finally got ride. I put about 3000 miles on the bike before someone told me i should have already changed the timing belts. I have been trying to decided what brand to buy. I have read that there is alotof difference . I would welcome any and all input.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Any listed here..

Gates - #5119 or #T274 (2ea.)
NAPA - #250274 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40274 (2 ea.)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Not if there in good shape.. There are hard to find and expensive if you do find them... I hear also you can rebuild the ones you have

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

If they spin smoothly with no noise and have no play or movement in the bearings, I wouldn't worry about them. They will be fine.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I have Gates belts I have just fitted and they work very well and at a fraction of the price of mother hondas.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Gates are the popular one here, because they are easy to get.
The only place around me that had them was O'Reilly. Autozone, Pep-Boys and Advanced had no idea what I was talking about the the Gates number they cross referanced came up as some type of filter.

The Napa store did stock their part number for the same belt.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I go to Autozone a lot, they stock, or can get a lot of parts for my 40+ year old cars. I won't even slow down for Pep Boys, they are a joke. O'Reilly's seem to vary with location. But most shops and fleet departments use NAPA, and they are the place to go when you need anything unusual. They tend to be more professional than other places, and they don't sell a lot of cheap chrome plated accessories or Chinese scooters.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks for the advise. I ordered some from NAPA today.They should be here wednesday and with any luck I will be riding saturday

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Try a google search for the gates belts. When I did mine this spring, I purchased them for 15 bucks a piece from Amazon.com. I had them in three days and not to difficult to install. Might as well do the radiator hoses and flush out the radiator while you're at it. A search in the tech listing should come up with a number for the radiator hose and also a how to to make the two hoses out of one. I will take a look and see if I can find it for you.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

I screwed that up but just go to "R" and you'll see it.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

I screwed that up but just go to "R" and you'll see it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for the numbers. I fond out really quick that I could not aford to buy all Honda parts, if you can find them.The internet has alot of stuff, but sometimes I question the quality.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

On ebay you can get a set of belts for $38 that come with a tool that will get those middle bolts out without a problem, it's a clever little thing, will save you hours.
70,000 on belts is about time but not urgent but it's not a hard or an expensive job, just read the book and make sure the timing marks are right.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

On ebay you can get a set of belts for $38 that come with a tool that will get those middle bolts out without a problem, it's a clever little thing, will save you hours.
70,000 on belts is about time but not urgent but it's not a hard or an expensive job, just read the book and make sure the timing marks are right.

OK I'm not gonna get embarrased, Hey I just a got free post there!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I bought my Gates belts at Rockauto.com last year, forget what I paid, around $35 shipping and all I think.

I'm not sure what the millage should be for a belt change, but age is important also. I'd change them soon as I could.
A snapped belt can take out the whole engine.

Honda is NOT the best place to buy many of our parts, but still check with several dealers. Belts, Fork seals, O-rings to mount carbs and some other things Honda dealer was FAR FAR too costly!

Honda dealer was the cheapest on a starter gear I needed, should have checked them first and saved more than $10 on it, Only $24 total from dealer, and cheapest new throttle cable I found online was around $35 + shipping but Honda dealer was $24 total for same one.

Shock boots are far too expensive at dealer, but somewhere on forum I think tells which to buy cheap at AutoZone or such.

Just be sure to shop around and ask.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i like to use the napa belts because napa actually lists them for the bike, no way they could say later "we didnt say they would work" if they list it they have to stand behind them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.