Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer quoted me $48 for right cover seal and $49 for the left (or vice versa). Seems like a lot of coin to me. Is that normal going rate or is there an alternative?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Sounds like typical dealer pricing.
Is this for a 1500? Those seals are usually reusable.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Dealer quoted me $48 for right cover seal and $49 for the left (or vice versa). Seems like a lot of coin to me. Is that normal going rate or is there an alternative?
thanks!
:waving: not sure what piece your asking about. a picture would solve that.
yeah-----we love pictures here

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto part Engine Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel line

Don't know why the picture flipped. but here it is, as requested:)

·
everyday member
514 Posts
fi they are not reusable, they are still availible through parts dealers. The address that I am giving you is for information only. There are places that are cheaper and shipping is a lot less. Just need to research. Since the gaskets are only to seal the timing belt area from dirt and grim, you can get away with a cheaper set then buying OEM from dealer. I know the guys will be along to give you some ideas as to where they purchase their parts to help you out if you need it. Just ask. Flea bay didn't have a good selection when I looked.
http://www.hondapartsteam.com/pages/OemParts#/Honda/GL1100I_A_(82)_MOTORCYCLE%2c_USA%2c_VIN%23_1HFSC021-CA20010_TO_1HFSC021-CA237630/FRONT_COVER_%2b_TIMING_BELT/GL1100I-82-A/2Y14463AE14463A01C

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
What you have looks pretty good, I would just go with it. They really don't seal off anything but keep dirt and water out, if you will notice there are drain holes in the bottom of the covers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies and resources.
Mucho appreciado:bow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, Here's a pic of my "new" bike:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Wheel

·
JR
256 Posts
Joe that's a mighty fine looking table lift in the photo. Mind telling me what brand that is and where to get one? Thanks! JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought this last week from Harbor Freight for $299. I looked at Handly Lifts, et al, bur for my intended purposes could not justify the price difference. I'm very happy with the lift. Many of the Guzzi folks have used this lift for years w/o complaint. There were a few that had an issue with the pump leaking, however that is an easy fix if it should occur.
I maintain my own bikes (the GW is new and I'm on a learning curve), and at almost 59 y/o, I'm done laying around on the ground.
for me, it is money well spent and I should have done this a long time ago!!
Look in the bike mags for the $299 coupon, it is priced from $439 - $599 in the stores.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost forgot, the lift comes with a front tire clamp which is completely useless! I bought the pictured unit at Harbor Freight also (with coupon) for $45. I bought another one at HF that I will be bolting to the floor also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes. the first time I had some help because I didn't want any surprises. the lift stands about 7 in high at the lowest postion, and at 5'7" I didn't feel comfortable going it alone. I had a 2x6 laying around, placed it on top of some blocks next to the ramp to give me the extra lift and that seemed to work fine. Unless you're long legged I would refrain from riding onto the lift, there may be a lack of surface should it be needed. That may change as I get more comfortable using it, I have two other bikes that will be seeing time on it, so I should have practice time soon!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I had to change my original cover gaskets as they were badly torn. I got a set from Saber (gasp) but as Dave said, they really don't need to seal. But I gota say, the fit of the Saber noodles was so poor; I debated about using my torn originals or getting some black Twizzlers licorice!!
Yes, nice table. And a wood stove too!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.