Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I bought an 86 1200 Interstate with a thrown rod. Nice big hole in motor!!! The bike has 34k miles and is in fantastic shape otherwise. I have an 86 Aspencade with 134k miles. The motor is loose but will run forever. The rotors are shot, calipers have been rebuild far too many times ( Ridden in the winter slop ), the steering head bearings are notched, forks loose, ect. The bike has been ridden hard, trailer and sidecar pulling, redline as a shift point... you get the idea.

I love this bike, it fits better than my 1800 wing, and I want to go 200k miles on it. I was thinking of swaping the complete front and back end from the Int to the Asp. This would make the bike like new mechanically. The Int bodywork will be stashed. The Asp body is getting customized. I already removed the trunk and made a cool diamondplate rack/plate in a textured black. The futue bike will be completley blacked out.

If I didn't do the swap, I can get an 82 wing rolling chassis with a supposed running motor for $100. Can I fit the 1100 motor into the 1200 chassis and get it running for $100? I know I would have to swap the wiring harness to match.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

no an 1100 will not fit in a 1200 frame or vise versa the mounting holes are off the motors are not the same you could maybe do it if you custom made brackets or cut off the existing ones and rewelded them in to the correct position but i dont even know if the driveline hookup would work that well with out causing severe vibration

how do i know this is because a buddy of mine blew his 1200 motor and he had an 1100 laying around and it will not fit just the way it is

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Seems like putting your good motor in the interstate is the easiest ?? best?? option.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Seems like putting your good motor in the interstate is the easiest ?? best?? option.
I agree but the Aspencade is a much better model.
Another option is move the Aspy to the Interstate frame, sounds like the Aspy frame is pretty beat up.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

The frame is still good. I had thought about taking the motor from the Asp and putting it into the Int, but for the following reasons:

I have an attachment to the Asp.... I've been through so much with it, from The Gaspe in Canada to the U.P. in Michigan, Colorado to Georga, mud, snow, dirt roads, sweeping roads. I even proposed to my current wife while riding on this bike. I have a sentimentality to this bike that exceeds its $ value.

If I swapped the motor into the Int, I want to swap the instruments and wiring harness, but it still wouldn't be the same bike. The running motor had been ridden so hard, the bottom end is loose, and I have to do head gaskets every 30k miles. I did replace the heads, but don't know if that solved the problem yet.

If I swap the suspension, the work is simple, and I can eventually swap in a better motor... and it will still be MY bike.

I was just thinking that if that $100 motor would work in the Int, I would throw it in just to get it running.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
imported post

I'd just go on a hunt for a 1200 motor to put into the Interstate.

I don't know if you can get one for a bill but they're getting cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.