Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey all,

can a 81 gl1100 interstate pull a small trailers or do you need a bigger bike?

would like to hear ideas

Russ

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I pull one (not very often though..) with my '83 Interstate. And it has higher gearing than your '81.

Affects things like mileage, stopping distance though.

And we'll have to know your definition of a small trailer.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

My 83 pulls my harbor freight trailer easily . . . only lose 1 or 2 mpg, but do notice the trailer on acceleration and deceleration.

Chuck

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

In Kansas it depends on whether you are going north or south and what time of year.:cheesygrin:
Is it Nebraska sucking and Oklahoma blowing or vise verse.

Lots of people pull a trailer with 1100s.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

I have a voyager kit on mine and pull a trailer a lot without any problem. Most of the time 2up.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i pull a small harborfreight trailer last summer my dad and i went on a 800mile trip i haulded roughly 200-250lbs of gear on the trailer

i averaged 70ish mph the whole trip used 1/8th qt oil ran great i only really felt the trailer when i was braking but i just used the transmission as a brake on the slow maneuver turns it was a bit tricky and when you stop put it in gear lol

but all in all my old 80 interstate pulled my trailer just as good as my dads newer harley i only dropped 2mpg during the whole trip

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I pull this one with my 1100,only time I know its there is when starting out or when braking hard. Its kind of like having a passenger on the back. When its loaded the total weight of the trailer is 300lbs.

Attachments

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

We pull a 450 lb. trailer with our 86 Interstate with 2 up. It is a HF narrowed 11" with a 30" W X 32" T X 48" L metal box that opens the top 7" and the back also opens so I can run my power chair up into the back. Everyone claims it is a snap-on tool box due to being painted Safety Red. We built it from scratch except for the HF trailer that we modified by the narrowing and lengthing the tongue 18"

About the only time I really notice it is on braking but that will be rectified with new brake pads, new fluid and good bleeding of the brakes. Cross winds do not seem to bother it. We rode in some unpredicted 30+ mph cross winds to get home with no problems. We have to ride gravel roads to get from our home to any solid chip and seal road a mile away and the trailer tows on gravel very well.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Get 12" wheels for sure!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yes they can pull a trailer . this is my camping trailer. in it is the tent (large) ,2 fold up cots ,2 sleeping bags , 2 pillows (large) ,2sleeping pads , coffee pot an stove (1 burner),coffee cups ,cover trap and rope , 2 folding chairs and some clothing things.

OH-- dont for get the T P . yes its full. but lite. below is a pic (thanks rudy) of the out fit set up.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

I pull a Kwik Kamp with mine. 70+ not a problem. Jay

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

As all have said, you should be fine. I used to tow a lot with my GL1000. Both of them in fact.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I agree that the 1100 can easily pull a small trailer with no problem. I used to pull one with my 81 Interstate. It was a homebuilt frame riding on motorcycle rear shocks for suspension and a car top carrier mounted on it. I pulled all my camping gear, clothing, tools, etc in the trailer on several long trips. One was about a 6,000 miles trip from Alabama out through several western states and as far as Glacier National Park in Montana and I was riding two up also. The 1100 pulled it easily and about the only time I noticed it was on braking.... or trying to back up. :cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
My 83 pulls my harbor freight trailer easily . . . only lose 1 or 2 mpg, but do notice the trailer on acceleration and deceleration.

Chuck
Same here for me, pulls one with no problems. Just remember to start braking earlier than normal.

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

if your looking for a h.f. trailer, keep your eyes pealed. they usually run a sale on things and you can pick one up a lot cheaper. i want to say they will kick out a 20% discount deal. probably wrong onthe amount but youll see something and someone will probably be along soon to correct me if im wrong. good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.