Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 83 gl1100 online only to find out it's actually a 80 1100 :sadguy:(thanks for your input on that) But now i need to find out can i put a 83 trans. in it? I need all the gearing i can get for interstate speed. because im putting it in my 77gl1000.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I think it can be done. I remember previous threads with the same question and as far as I remember it was possible. Try searching the threads while you wait for more answers from the good members of the forum.

·
Administrator
28,063 Posts
Yes you can change the transmission gears but it is a major job splitting the engine cases. Even with the 83 gears it is till going to be buzzing pretty good at interstate speed with the 1000 final drive.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Yes you can change the transmission gears but it is a major job splitting the engine cases. Even with the 83 gears it is till going to be buzzing pretty good at interstate speed with the 1000 final drive.
Correct but changing the final reduction gears to the 83 gears would help.

Even better would be the 1000 final reduction gears but I don't know if either would fit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the 1000 trans. counter shaft is smaller than the 1100 the bearrings are the same (the ID. atleast) but the gears dont fit the shaft. I recieved a 1100 trans by accident back when i was trying salvage the origimal MTR. And i dont know what 1100 traney i have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive noticed some differences in 83 engine block round sight glass,neutrial switch moved,casting lines appeir different,dont know about inside.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Ive noticed some differences in 83 engine block round sight glass,neutrial switch moved,casting lines appeir different,dont know about inside.
The shifter drum is totally different between 80-81 and 82-83.
If you use the shifter drum that came with the engine you shouldn't run into to many problems.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just replyed to the seller of engine. Depending on what they do, I might be giving it a try. please if aneybody knows more about this,Please tell me!:bow:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
go talk to dan filipi

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I think you just need to swap the 1000 output shaft to the 1100 motor. Requires pulling back covers. A couple guys and I have done it with 1200's. It will almost bolt up cleanly then. You will have to modify the frame a bit for the elec ignition unit. Other than that, it's a bolt and go. It's not worth the hassle of swapping trannies for the little gain of the 83. A taller rear tire would help some.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you have to change the gear on the counter shaft allso,counter shaft same 1100-1200. 1000 shaft smaller than both.output shaft same 1000-1100 diferent 1200's

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the 1100 tranney that i have the the finnal reduction gear on counter shaft 37 teeth-double ended gear on output shaft has 36 teeth. ratio of .972 are these a matching set, and if so a 83 tranney?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to Dan filipi, Said may have 2 mod 1 shift forke alittle and use original drum. Now on 2 other issuies, 1 piston ben hydro locked-0.023 thow. short. bought replace ments with bearinings. all bearings showing copper. one rod all copper. Q-the main bearing jernals on the 1100 crank measure the same size as what the book says the 1000 is. Will the 1000 bearings work in the1100 block? sense im parting the 1000 aneyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.