Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased an Interstate trunk on e-bay. It looks ok but it has a couple of cracks around the luggage rack mounting holes. Whats the best way to repair this kind of damage? Also, the keys for this luggage set are missing, is there any way I can get keys for it from Honda or do I need to take it to a locksmith and have the cylinders replaced?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Take the lock off and take them and your ignition key to a local locksmith. They will reset the wafers (tumblers) in the lock to fit your key.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
The cracks can be repaired using ABS cement then sand and paint
I have found that by trying to repair cracks that way they always come back. To repair the cracks, you will need to repaint the entire part anyway. Is it bad enough to need repair? If you want to really repair it right, take a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, and cut through the cracks lengthwise, basically turning them into cuts rather than cracks. That alone will strengthen the surrounding area, and prevent the cracks from spreading. Now you will need to fill the area where you made the cuts. Clean the back side of the lid good with lacquer thinner, then use some fiberglass tape and automotive Bondo, and glue the tape to the underside of the trunk lid with bondo. The fiberglass tape is for reinforcement. Hopefuly when you did this, some of the bondo pushed through the cuts, and is sticking above the surrounding area. When it is dry, sand it down smooth. Add more bondo and sand again if necessary. In order for the repair to last, you need surface area for the bondo to adhere to. The thickness of the ABS plastic where you made the cuts is what provides this surface area.

Another much simpler way is to simply use chrome washers between the rack and trunk lid big enough to cover the cracks.

When I cleaned up my LTD, and got rid of all the junk I didn't want, it left 18 holes in the trunk and lid, mostly the lid. I removed speakers, armrests, and a handle of some kind. I simply got 18 1/4" carriage bolts, popped them into the holes, they snapped right in and centered perfectly, then I used nuts and washers on the inside to hold them in place. It should be a nice clean look when I paint it.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

When repairing a crack you should always drill a small hole at the end of the crack make sure it is at the end and this will stop the crack from getting longer.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

wingnzj wrote:
When repairing a crack you should always drill a small hole at the end of the crack make sure it is at the end and this will stop the crack from getting longer.
That is also a good idea, especially if you don't intend to repair the crack. But if you do, you need something to actually fill in. I have found that the reinforced cutoff wheels on a Dremel are perfect for this. If you don't have a Dremel, I strongly suggest getting one. They are absolutely indespensible for working on an old motorcycle. My Dremel is my single most used tool. I've been through several.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Im with henryH on cutting out the crack's but I Would use an abs paste made of glue and abs shavings mixed together.
IT melts into the trunk materal ande makes a stong bond.
It's a little bit of an art to get the mixture right but a few practice runs and you will get how to mix it.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I repaired my trunk by drilling a hole at each end of every crack, there were a lot I then took a dremel and "V" 'd out all cracks and with a plastic welding unit, welded the unit back together. I cut pieces of ABS to form fit spaces where there was none and welded it in place. I finished the unit with a dremel and sanding tip, smoothed out all the welds and filled the grind marks with body filler, sanded smooth, primed and painted. There were about 50 welds all together, unit has held up for over 2 years without any problems.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

When i repair a crack on my wing and ive just donr this i use a roll of roofing tape you can get it from any hardware store and i put some glue down and then a few layers of the mesh to add some strength to the crack .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.