Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have GL1100 standard with a Vetter fairing and trunk.

When I turn on the turn signals they flash (great) But I get a low light flash on the opposite side also. So you get a 4-ways look to the lights (not good) This also effects the brake light. The lights on the trunk also do this. BUT the lower bike rear turn signals DO NOT do this.

But a trailer on and to too flash like 4-ways.

Yes the bike is 32 years old and this set up has been on it almost from day 1. The problem is new. Is it a ground problem? Where are all the grounds? :?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Sounds like it could be a ground problem, that can happen like that when seeking a ground, power goes through other lights also. Not sure where all the grounds are but look under the seat I think there may be a main ground there. As I recall all the rear lights connect under the seat, check all connections also.

Do the front turns both flash also when only using one side? If they do you might try unplugging all lights from the rear and see if both still flash on front or just one, if after cleaning grounds it still does it. If just one on front with rear unpluged, then plug the rear back in 1 thing at a time and see if both front start flashing again. That could narrow it down some if you have a bad light socket somewhere also.

Since wired for a trailer, I'd check everything there also. Something could be corroded and shorting in the trailer connecter or wiring also.

Not as common, but our bikes are getting old, if a socket for one turn bulb is bad it can also feed power back through the brakes or taillights sometimes making both sides flash. Mostly happens if the bulb/socket is a 2 filament like dimmer tail lights and brighter turn signals both.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
The Vetter electrical connections to the trunk and fairing are probably where the problem is, mainly like Chromo said the ground connections.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
Had the same problem. Traced it to the ground on the hopper trailer light adapter. A bad ground can cause some weird stuff.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trailer is rewired, unpluged trunk. Cleaned all bulb sockets, replaced bulbs. Still same problem. NOW, took everything off (fairing, seat, fake tank) and we started testing and cleaning. Noticed the control on the handlebar was getting bad. But in the middle of all this all of a sudden I have no turn signals at all. Have new control, flasher seems to be working just not lights on bike.:wtf:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.