Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Chris and I'm new to forum. I own an 82 gl1100. It runs great, but has either a vacuum leak or exhaust leak. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but is coming from around the front right carb. I can't find the leak anywhere. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but nothing from the exhaust. Very frustrating...:lash:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
vacuum leak

with your bike running at idle, spray carb cleaner on the ports of your carbs. if the RPM goes up that is where the leak is. spray each one and other vacuum hoses. if not it is an exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Hello, my name is Chris and I'm new to forum. I own an 82 gl1100. It runs great, but has either a vacuum leak or exhaust leak. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but is coming from around the front right carb. I can't find the leak anywhere. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but nothing from the exhaust. Very frustrating...:lash:
If it's a noise (you say it runs great) are you aware the valves are adjustable and need periodic maintenance?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Will the valves out of adjustment cause a sound like an exhaust leak?
If the valve is too loose, you'll hear a light tapping. If it's too tight, the valve will be staying open longer. Possible combustion noise.
In any event, if you don't know the history of the bike, I'd recommend setting the valves just on principle.
As a side note, the valves are cooled by being in contact with the seat. The longer they're open, the hotter they'll get.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
A burned valve can sound like an exhaust leak.
So can a blown head gasket.
A leakdown test is needed to check for either.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Have you tried tightening the header bolts?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
one way to find an exhaust leak , is to cover the tailpipes for just a couple of seconds and have someone look listen for leaks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't know if the 1100 has the air injection system or not, but if it does, that is a definite possible source of an exhaust leak, and it will be on top of the engine. My 1200 leaked. I removed and plugged the entire system. It has a chrome tube connected to each end of the head, and hoses connect to that and go to a chamber under the carb plenum. It has reed valves in it to prevent backflow of the exhaust, but over time they fail, and also the hoses can rot and leak. This setup is designed to inject air directly into the exhaust ports, so there will be an exhaust leak if it leaks. It's only an epa thing, it serves no useful purpose as far as how the bike runs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Compression test won't tell you what you need to know. I had a blown head gasket and the compression test showed the cylinder to be fine.

Yes, a blown head gasket may show up as oil in the water, or water in the oil, or both. But, in the early stages, maybe not. It could just be a breach between the cylinders at this point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
it will tell you if a valve is not seating. and does your bike have EGR tubes on it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.