Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings,

I have an 82 Int. I backed into a pole and cracked the trunk. I am thinking of replacing the 82 trunk with one fron a newer wing. The GL1100 trunk was designed by a drunk. The seal is marginal at best and creates pressure at the corners which often crack. These cracks are hard to permanently repair. The GL1200 trunk is similar. Now my question. Is the method used to weather proof the trunk better than the GL1100 trunk? Are the corners less prone to cracking? I can adapt the mounting, but would it be worth the effort?

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Hello Dadoo and welcome to the best Wing forum around. :waving:
The trunk lid on the GL1200 is even more likely to crack. It's a lot heavier than the lid on the GL1100 trunk and the bumps and rattles and weight of the pillion passenger make it crack at the corners and even at the hinge points. The GL1100 trunk is actually the better one as it only ever cracks at the corners, very rarely at the hinges.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you, Martin, for your reply. I go on many long rides and like to have a sturdy, weatherproof trunk. As I mentioned, the GL1100 trunk was designed by a drunk and maybe he did the 1200 also before he sobered up. I have been researching different touring bike trunks and found the Yamaha Venture Royale trunk to be a very well made unit. It has an alloy strip on the lid and bottom that meet with a tongue and groove seal. I may adapt one of these. Any opinions are welcome.

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I must admit, the trunk on the Venture was about the biggest improvment Yamaha made over the Wing. They last forever. But of course in other areas the Venture is worse than the Wing, FI the exhausts and collector boxes rot through in record time and are even more expensive than the Honda exhausts.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I have a 1985 1200A with backrest and armrest. It is cracked on the bottom, around the braces. I think it is caused from the weight of the lid when it's open, hanging from the hinges. If you shop for a trunk, look under the mat for cracks.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have recently purchased a 1982 Interstate and the trunk lid has both hinges broken right off. I have to bungee cord it shut. Are there hinges that one could retrofit that would be longer/stronger? as the lip where the original hinges sits would have to be created?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.