Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone,

I have an 83 1100 GW, and was using a lot of water, so i drained the oil and found it was going there, nothing in the radiator, I am assuming its a head gasket and i would like to try an sealant instead of fixing.... any suggestions... thanks 4 ur help???

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you have to get a new head gasket.. Nothing will hold to that kind of heat or pressure for long..

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

milliesdad wrote:
Could possibly be water pump o-ring failure.

No on the cooling system sealer.

Fix it right.
i`ll second that. a bad water pump will casewaterin oil too , seals,O rings,bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

yeah a sealer will plug up your radiator before it will plug up the leak dont waste your money on that find the leak and fix that

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Do not put cooling system "stop leak" in it. If your water pump isn't already bad, it will be after you put that stuff in there. You need to find the leak. No sense in pulling off the heads if it is the water pump. Do a compression check and/or a leakdown test, hopefully a bad head gasket will show up there. If you are using ethylene glycol, drain both it and the oil out quick, flush the cooling system with distilled water, and replace the engine oil and filter. Oil and ethylene glycol mixed together will destroy you engine about as fast as a broken timing belt. Use pure water in the cooling system while searching for the leak. BTW, is there any sign of oil in the coolant?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Your best bet is to do the water pump O ring first but if that doesn't cut it, fear ye not, a head gasket change out is not as hard as it may at first seem, first time I did it was '84 when my 2 year old '82 decided to pee hot coolant out of the top of the head onto my right thigh, I was living in a walk up one room apartment in London and no garage, and my tool kit consisted of not much more than what the bike came with and a couple of bent spoons, fixed it, though I have to admit it was a naked bike, dressers do make the job a little harder, the only real special tool you'll need is to borrow a torque wrench from a buddy, just make sure you mark the camshaft cogs real good before you pull the belts and put the put the inlets and exhaust back on with new O rings and copper gaskets.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kudos to all... WP was done, i bought 4 $1k and was running, but i think the owner knew... Anyway, i just need to ride 4 a couple of months and its probably more than just a head gasket....everything else is fine and if i have to replace the enginge, i am hoping $3-400 plus labor...my carbs work well, etc.. so thats why i am hoping sealant will temporary take care of the problem????? U folks know its fun when it runs and right now the weather is GREAT.... so please give me an honest assesment.... Thanks....pjjbur

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

pjjbur wrote:
so thats why i am hoping sealant will temporary take care of the problem????? U folks know its fun when it runs and right now the weather is GREAT.... so please give me an honest assesment....

Even though the weather is fine, you really should listen to the advice and change head gaskets, if you are sure the water pump area is fine. If the water pump was just done, it could still be an oring or something out of place. My bet is on a head gasket - sorry!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ya know what pj you got it stuck in your head that that coolant sealant crap will fix it if you add it it will cause more problems than you want trust me

but if your insistent its YOUR bike dont come cryin back when things turn south.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i have a 86 sei, the previous owner tried that crap in the system, cost me both head gaskets and the water pmp and the radiator, as they say,,,,,, the choice is yours

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry but when did my wife move to Burbank, buy an 1100 and join this forum...

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

...sorry,couldn't help myself but she does have a tendency to ask the same question over and over again to try and get the answer she was hoping for. People are giving you honest assessments and these are people who know. It's your choice whether or not to listen to the advice. If it were me-knowing the PO was deceitful (of course they knew) I would plan on a weekend and do both the head gaskets and the water pump using OEM parts for both. As you will be pulling timing belts to get to head gaskets I'd plan on checking/replacing those as well.

Your plan is flawed from the start, riding the bike until the engine blows up and then hoping to get a "new" one and pop it in is a pipe dream-bad idea. Whose to say the engine you buy won't need head gaskets and water pump an hour after you intstall it. Which of these two options do you honestly think will cost more time and money?

Do the work now. It will save both time and money and likely of lot of each.

That's my honest assessment!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

pjjbur, you have recieved the honest assesment.
To thrash to death a probably good motor because you dont want to do the required work to fix it properly is just nutty. An afternoon is all it would take.
If you feel there was enough water in the oil to do damage to the motor then thats different .
How much water came out of it ?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

do not use sealer...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

hello Crazy,

Thxs... I would say about 2 quarts or more, thats my problem, it runs fine, but i wont know until i open her up.....there could be more damage.. what has been ur experience..

Thxs. PJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.