Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This questions can be applied to gaskets in general I guess, but Ive removed the engine cover with old waterpump intact. The pump housing is STUCK STUCK STUCK to the cover. I have a feeling that the prev owner used RTV/Permatex to apply the housing gasket. I've tapped the small housing firmly with the ole rubber mallet from all sides - still really stuck to the cover. Any ideas on getting the housing free without damaging the aluminum bits? The local auto parts store is out of stock on gasket remover for the next few days...

TIA

Eric

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't want to pry it off if I don't have to - I know I could shove a chisel in there to pry the bits apart, but I'd really prefer a less obtrusive way to separate the pump housing from the engine cover...

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
if you're going to replace the water pump anyhow, I would remove the whole front cover assembly with the water pump & it's cover intact...
then remove the three bolts in the back of the engine cover that hold the water pump in place..then pound on the water pump (with a rubber mallot) from the rear, forcing it into the cover that's stuck on the front...maybe that will persuade the stuck cover to pop loose without damage...
good luck!

Carsh
Carsh

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - got it out! I put the end that the hose attaches to back on and knocked that from the top and finally gave way! This is surely the OEM pump - plastic impeller blades...

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
be very careful cleaning up the "bore" that the water pump fits into...
I recently did a water pump change, and cleaned that bore with a wire cup brush..took off too much "meat", and of course, caused a leak there...
had to replace the whole front engine cover...
so beware of over-zealous cleaning in there!

;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - question number two here... What's the secret to getting the water pump itself out? Removed the 3 bolts on the inside of the engine cover and I've given the water pump shaft many good wacks with the rubber mallet. Still wont budge. I've taken pliers to the back of the water pump to try to 'turn' it out, it wont budge. now I have it soakin in WD40, hoping to get some penetration there. Am I missing something? maybe 30 year old parts are just 'fused' together???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.