Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It ran hot so I was supplied the water pump for me to change. Which I did with new gasket/O ring kit. I also did thermostat and hoses. Put her back together and this is what I get, leak city. But not from weep hole, from gasket area from where I would expect oil. Oil looks clean. My choices are to lug it to local stealership I don't trust, lug it to another wrench in the area or try it again and risk making same mistake. I tired and sick about this bike and dont have it in me to bone it up again. So I ask you all, help the newby, what does it look like? Im afraid to tighten little bolts anymore in case they snap, I did use torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Welcome to the Site!

If it were me I'd break her back down and clean all the metal mating surfaces paying special attention to the locations that leaked, looking for dings, dents and such... Then I'd apply a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Gray to all the cleaned mating surfaces, install new OEM gaskets from Mother Honda and tighten her back up and go from there.....

If it were me.....

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum Newby, you may want to change your handle before you log too many posts. As Roscoe says, it could be a simpel hose clamp. If it is part of the work you did, the impeller cover gasket and the weep hole are about the only things that will bleed clean coolant. So if you are sure it isn't the weep hole, it should be a simple fix.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Well you have to trace where it came from!
Is it just a leak in a hose where connected, no big deal! Is it from radiator?
Is it from the cross over pipes?
Were the pump seals OEM or from crappy supply? Crappy supply in MO. sells some bad stuff and some others may also not have the best quality.

First thing is to clean it all up, then trace the leaks to find out what is actually wrong.

If you really over heated it bad it could be almost anything leaking, and the first step is to find out what that is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wasnt really overheated, gasket kit came from ebay, looks like all drips sre from gasket area

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Site!

If it were me I'd break her back down and clean all the metal mating surfaces paying special attention to the locations that leaked, looking for dings, dents and such... Then I'd apply a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Black or Ultra Gray to all the cleaned mating surfaces, install new OEM gaskets from Mother Honda and tighten her back up and go from there.....

If it were me.....

What about the red high temp permatex?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If the gasket kit came from Saber Cycles then I would say that that was the problem. The first time i did the pump it was from them and their gaskets were so thin that they refused to seal, I ended up replacing all of them one by one. Then four months later the shaft on their 'made in India' water pump sheared off inside the engine where it connected to the oil pump shaft.

The second pump and gasket kit came from another dealer for $30.00 more and worked correctly the first time, and it has never leaked a drop.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The "gasket" doesn't seal any coolant ports.
The coolant ports are sealed by "O" rings.
I suspect one slipped during re-assembly and you'll probably have to take it back apart, if you're sure it's not a hose or a clamp.
I use just a touch of petroleum jelly (vaseline) to keep the o rings in place until the cover gets bolted on.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Permatex or any other silicone sealant is for places that were designed without a gasket. If you use anything on a gasket it should be something like liquid permatex just to stick the gasket in place. Besides that stuff oozing out all over looks very amateurish. If the surfaces are clean and smooth a proper gasket is all that is needed.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I don't mean to Green Rain on your parade but... in you pix there seems to be a lot of drips in a wider pattern than just the pump area.
Possibly a hose higher up?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ive took new dry gaskets &took black permatex between three fingers on one hand and pulled gasket through it rubbing it into it.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
When installing the O rings put a little axle grease on them to hold them into place as you re-install the parts together again.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
I too think it may be an o ring problem. You may have rolled one when installing. The large o ring around the water pump can be a pain and is easy to pinch. Like mentioned before, a little Vaseline works wanders when installing o rings.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
You did it once you can do it again because now you have experience at it now, why have someone else do it? Fix it yourself because you know how......Don't let this beat you..You go fix it now.. and if it leaks again try again until you get it right....You can't surrender man....We will not let you..ha ha

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you are absolutely sure there is no coolant from the weep hole, it won't be a pump seal. If you're absolutely sure.
You would only have to pull the cover and inspect. I'm pretty sure you'll see where things went wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If all the o-rings were installed, the gasket surfaces were clean, and the gaskets were installed dry, even the cheapest ebay kit will seal fine, LESS one place. The cover between the 'gooseneck' and the lower case cover WILL leak if put in dry. The one from Honda has a sealer on it, so if you use an aftermarket gasket you NEED sealer on it.

The OP should dry the engine and inspect where the coolant is really coming from. If its from the gasket I mentioned, he can just pull it back off, dry the gasket, put gasket shelac on it, and re-install.

Other than this one, I think that ANY issues related to leaks are NOT due to the gaskets. I have known people that had leaking issues using Honda gaskets not being installed properly.

As long as no sealers were used, the OP can pull it all back apart and make sure everything is correct and he won't need 'new' new gaskets (I have re-used new-er gasket sucessfully on three bikes, two to fix leaks from other people doing the repair, and one recently where the PO had installed new gaskets but the pump failed). If its not the gasket I mentioned, think he will find a damaged or missing o-ring.

BTW: Honda does NOT make a waterpump gasket 'kit', and if they did it would NOT be 30 bucks.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Don't use anything from saber cycle. On my 1100 I used a very very thin coat of gasket sealer

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.