Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi . i have three water pump's here i know one is shot,
it's all jiggly and loose, the other is firm but a bit stiff while trying to turn by hand, i have 2 like that,
but i can't remember if it a good pump or not, today i bought the gasket kit, before i buy a new pump i want to make sure that the pump that i have is not good,i posted a forum yesterday about the oil leak in the tale tale hole
under the waterpump .
question is how freely should the pump turn while turning it with your hand's. really easy , medium easy, or a little strain to turn?

just question's feel free to give me your opinion or if you know for sure would be great help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Someone may be more knowledgeable thanI but IIRC the plastic impeller has been superseded by the stainless one due to problems with the plastic deforming.

Stiff can be from sitting or a bearing seizing up. Any roughness indicates a bearing problem.

I just bought a new one from Honda and it's firm but smooth. ($129.00 CDN)

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Oops doubled up

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

You should feel a little bit of resistance when you turn the impeller, but there should be no side to side motion or in and out movement.

Sounds like the two that have some resistance should be OK. You can take a qu tip & put it up the drain hole in the water pump & see if you get anything sustantial on it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I just replaced my water pump, the O rings were fine the bearings were fine but the oil seal on the pump had weakened and was dripping a little oil from the weep hole.

I replaced the O rings last year figuring it was them that were the problem but obviously even if the pump bearings are not sloppy the oil seal can leak.

I wanted to save money last year, but I ended up doing it again last week.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

It should spin freely..its' just a shaft in two bearings. You should be able to spin it with one finger and have it rotate a couple of times. It's not free wheeling but close.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I have a brand new one in hand . It does not spin freely . It has a slight resistance ,which I would expect . You have the drag of the water seal which is a pair of ceramic rings running against each other . One ring is fixed in place the other has a coil spring pushing its surface against the other ring surface .

I'd say if it moves with some drag and the bearing feels smooth it could be used again.

The pump on the left with the steel vanes/ rotor is the newer type.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

i don't know where the number 1 pump in the pic came from
but it look's new, i found it in a box of spare part's i have. i can't turn it freely, but i turn's easy and smooth.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

IMO it should "not" spin freely. I have always had some resistance to turning in all the m/c or auto water pumps I have bought.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
imported post

Water pumps should be smooth turning but with some resistance. No movement in/out or side to side. Use the clean one with the stainless rotor

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
I have a brand new one in hand . It does not spin freely . It has a slight resistance ,which I would expect . You have the drag of the water seal which is a pair of ceramic rings running against each other . One ring is fixed in place the other has a coil spring pushing its surface against the other ring surface .

I'd say if it moves with some drag and the bearing feels smooth it could be used again.

The pump on the left with the steel vanes/ rotor is the newer type.
Exactly what he said!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.