Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm on the road on a short vacation and my cooling fan has quit. When I started the bike up this morning there was a HUGE cloud of white smoke from the right exhaust. About 10 minutes down the highway the temp guage had reached the top mark - not into the red. The fan is not working - although I thought that at highway speed it wouldn't be needed.

The fuses in the fuse box all seem to be ok. Is there a separate one for the fan?

Can I get at the relay to see if it's the problem without taking the bike apart? I didn't bring the proper tools with me (of course) as I was taking a short cruise.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I don't know how the fan is setup. I hardwired mine directly to the battery, with a fuse and a switch. I leave it on all the time the engine is running. I live in AZ, and it is HOT here. You might be able to temporarily rig something like that, just connect a hot wire directly to the fan. It will not hurt for it to run all the time. Might even make the regulator run cooler, another reason I did mine that way.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The fan switch is at the front of the engine on the thermostat housing. Loop the two wires and the fan should come on with the ignition. If not, the fan itself could be bad.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks/ Is the relay readily visible or is some dismantling involved?

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

It should be easy to get to. Same thing happened to me with the big puff of white smoke. Started to overheat, did not get to the red. Unfortunately, it ended up being the head gasket. Check your sparkplugs, should be easy to tell which one you have a problem with if that is it. The great guys on this forum will jump in as you fill us in with more info.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

there is no relay on the 1100 or the 1000. just a thermo switch and fuse.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

And they are where? Any plastic have to come off? Thanks.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I just reread your post. While the fan may not be working, I believe you do have a bigger problem. It does sound like a blown head gasket to me. The fan not working could cause overheating, but could not cause the huge puff of white smoke.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

IF it's overheating at highway speeds you have other problems. First thing, of course, is to check the coolant level.

Did you get one puff of white smoke or did it keep blowing the same smoke? Most of the 1100s and 1200s will smoke some from the left side after sitting for a time on the side stand. Not the case with yours.

As justayooper said, pull the spark plugs. If one or more are washed clean you probably have a blown head gasket.

Check the oil to see if it is milky or normal dark but clear. Coolant in the oil will make it milky and is not at all good for the engine. Look in the coolant expansion tank for oil on top of the coolant there. There is coolant in the tank, isn't there?

You could have a failed thermostat which is causing the over heating. Keep you fingers crossed.

Lyle

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Started up again this morning and seemed fine. A little smokier on the right side than usual but nothing like the 5 minute 'fog' of the other day. Fan seems to be working as it should - although the temp gauge registers one bar higher than I'm used to. And the engine seems to be running a bit rough. And back-popping through the air cleaner every now and then.

My own fault, I suppose, for telling another rider that "it runs and runs and runs".

I made it home ok so tomorrow I'll check the fluids and the plugs.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you have to take off the shark fins..you will see the switch where the upper hose connects. you may have to pull the rad to get to it though. I had sticky termostat that would cause mine to get hot.. replaced and it was fine. It is also where the switch is. Do simple thing first. fuse is in the fuse box under false tank door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.