Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Probably just old hardened valve stem seals. They let some oil into the cylinders, especially on the left side when you park on the side stand overnight.
If the smoke clears after a couple of miles, it isn't a big worry.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

+1, especially if you park it for more than a day on the sidestand :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

It's either that or your bike elected a new Pope:thumbsdown: Sorry, couldn't resist. White smoke could be a head gasket. if it goes away, should be just sitting, if not, time for a gasket

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

White smoke would indicate water, not oil. It could just be some condensation but if it continues it may be a bad sign.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I went for a couple of years with a small amount of white smoke out the right side at
startup. About a month ago I started after a fillup at a gas station and I had clouds of
white smoke billowing out the right side. Pulled away from the pumps before the
attendant panicked and let it run for a minute or two. Cleared up back to normal but
the temp gauge ran up to just below the red and stayed there while driving. Two days
later the engine wouldn't turn over. Pulled the number three plug, turned the engine
over, and shot anti-freeze all over the garage wall! I'm in the process of replacing the
head gasket on the right side and the timing belts.

I suggest pulling the plugs and comparing colours. And have you had to add anti-freeze lately?

And if you're continuing to ride as-is then take the spark plug wrench with you.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

+1 on Dennis's comment. Condensation will form inside both pipes equally and vaporize as the pipes warm up. White smoke from one side is likely signs of a head gasket failing. If you have to do a head gasket job use OEM head gaskets. It's not a job you want to practice over and over.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Try pulling the plugs on the left side if you have a leak you should see signs of water on the plugs and check your coolant level for a drop in level.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My '83 has smoked on start-up from the left side for years. I freaked when it happened the first time, read on this forum that was somewhat normal. The bike runs very well to this day. It doesn't take much oil to produce the smoke and mine might smoke for a minute or so.

That being said, what's it smell like? If it's a sweet smell, it's anti-freeze. If it smells like oil, fuggeabotit. If you're not fouling plugs on the left side and you're not using a lot oil, get on it and ride it.Put it on the centerstand and see if the problem goes away. Also, make sure you haven't over-filled the oil level.

Regards.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Normally, white is coolant, blue is oil, and black is fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Try this, when you come in from a ride after killing engine ,lean bike to the right for a minute. This will allow excess oil in cylinder to drain,then put on side stand.Be sure to turn fuel petcock off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.