Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~ I own a 1982 GL1100 which ran like a top all last year. This year however I've run into a problem with my bike which I can not figure out: A few days ago I charged the battery (it was dead after sitting all winter). The bike started right up, and it ran fine. I turned the bike off and adjusted the clutch cable at the handle bar. About a week later I tried to start the bike again and it would not start. The problem isn't the battery because it is fully charged and all dash lights and electrical come on. I believe the starter won't engage. When the starter button is depressed, I can hear (and actually feel) a "click" at the main fuse. I did readjust the clutch cable and the problem still exists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
Jumper across the top terminals on the starter relay with a screwdriver and if the starter works you need a new relay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your message. Appreciate! With regards to the relay are you referring to the solenoid? If yes, then I have tried jumping it and still nothing. Just can not figure this out.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I would try putting a jumper cable from the positive battery post to the starter. If the starter runs you have a bad cable or connection. If not then the starter or the battery is bad.
Be sure the bike is in neutral before doing this or it may be laying on you after the test.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Check the battery under load..starting if the V's drop below 10 then bad battery..

·
Registered
211 Posts
pull clutch handle in and try to start. diode or clutch switch may be bad. check for hydrolock. remove spark plugs and hit starter button.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
did you turn off the gas at the tank? if not you may have a cylinder or two full of gas.
pull plges cover the holes , run switch to OFF , see if it will turn over now.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
:? well-----what worked ? out of the suggestions you got ?? or haven`t you tried them yet? inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
i would still like to know what happened.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
mike 1500 Goldwing also has the same problem. tried the do the jumper at the relay.I just get a humming sound.. and some sparks on relay.. so I guess it's the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I had the same problem, as the Original Poster

For those who want to know what happened, to mine my bike had the exact same porblem.

I push the starter Button and Just hear a "Click" when pushing the starter button, when trying to startup engine and No start.

It was dirty Ignition switch contacts.

The 83' GL1100's have a one year product Ignition switch, 84'-86' GL1200 Ignitions are similar,

The 83' is short 84'-86' is about 1" longer.

Both I believe are 6 contact connecter, or GL1100 has 6 GL1200 has 7 one wire is not used.

Here is a link to this mod.
Post#14
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/325155-no-start-1983-aspencade-2.html

It is Not recommended to take this year 1983' apart, for cleaning, it has plastic tabs that can break, and relies on spring pressure to make everything work, when a tab is broken spring pressure is lost.

JB weld may work, I have used it for a quite a few instances but would rather avoid breaking a major part that is no longer available, especially a single year product part.

Here is what I did it worked Great
What I did was spray Ignition switch with Brake spray in the key hole end, then move key back and fourth to each position, about 20 times each, to clean the inside of switch, contacts.

Then I sprayed down by the connector end, there is a small hole spray in that hole too, then more turning of key through the contacts, another 20 times back and fouth, to clean and remove any corrosion on the contacts.

Repeat these steps several times.

Maybe turned key back and fourth 100-150 times or more, hooked it back up, starts up first start, every time.

I started it more than 20 times, starts up first push of the starter, no problem at all.

Update:
I started it at least 50 times more start every time on the first push of the starter

I sprayed a little dry lube, in both ends, and on the fork lock.

No more "Click", and then Nothing, It just works perfectly every time.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I had the same problem, as the Original Poster

For those who want to know what happened, to mine my bike had the exact same porblem.

I push the starter Button and Just hear a "Click" when pushing the starter button, when trying to startup engine and No start.

It was dirty Ignition switch contacts.
I'm glad that worked for you but if you hear the starter relay click the ignition switch and start button are doing their job and the problem is somewhere in the ground to battery to relay to starter or in the relay or starter.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Mr fix it

Hi ~ I own a 1982 GL1100 which ran like a top all last year. This year however I've run into a problem with my bike which I can not figure out: A few days ago I charged the battery (it was dead after sitting all winter). The bike started right up, and it ran fine. I turned the bike off and adjusted the clutch cable at the handle bar. About a week later I tried to start the bike again and it would not start. The problem isn't the battery because it is fully charged and all dash lights and electrical come on. I believe the starter won't engage. When the starter button is depressed, I can hear (and actually feel) a "click" at the main fuse. I did readjust the clutch cable and the problem still exists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi I don't have a number for you but you can email a friend and maybe go see him he restored old goldwings like I do he also lives in RI his name is David [email protected] I also would jump out the starter you mite find your problem

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I already had cleaned and removed corrosion on all grounds and Positive cables to battery & starter

The ignition was the last thing.

It starts awesome now

This is just a FYI

I'm glad that worked for you but if you hear the starter relay click the ignition switch and start button are doing their job and the problem is somewhere in the ground to battery to relay to starter or in the relay or starter.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
so--- now we know. thanks for the come back and letting us know .

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Yes you Must have a great ground.

I have seen the ground cable do this many times check where it connects to the bike not on the battery

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
Hi I don't have a number for you but you can email a friend and maybe go see him he restored old goldwings like I do he also lives in RI his name is David [email protected] I also would jump out the starter you mite find your problem
I'll bet he will appreciate you putting his email on a public forum for the spam bots to pick up. :nospam:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I'll bet he will appreciate you putting his email on a public forum for the spam bots to pick up. :nospam:
You might want to edit your post as your quote includes the email address.:lash:

And yes I agree that one should never post the email address of someone else on a pubic forum.

Where a person posts his/her own email address is of course up to him/her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.