Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 83 GL1100.

I want to cutdown the windshield to get some relief from the Virginia heat in the summer.

1.Has anyone cut down (cut it shorter) a windshield?

2. Good idea or dumb idea?

3. How do I do it?

THANKS!!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I've never cut one down, but you may want to check on line first and with JC Whitney. I bought a windshield for my Vetter Fairing and it came with 2 airvents and covers and it was cheap for a new windshield. You might also be able to cut some vetter type vents in and get the replacement vent covers. The problem with Plexiglas is if it not cut just right, it will splinter and crack easy.

The other problem with cutting down the windshield is you'll get more wind hitting your face and possibly buffeting your helmet. When I first got my GL Standard it had a ad-on windshield. I hated it over 60 mph. It was too short and I had this pounding noise when I rode.

You might also consider a vented jacket for the summer. I got one from the dealer and it's pretty comfortable, plus it has some padding on the arms and shoulders.

Good luck:waving:

Jerry

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It can be done easily enough. A jigsaw with a very fine blade will cut the screen. First you need to cover the area to be cut with masking tape (this stops the plate of the jigsaw marking the screen), then draw the line to be cut. When it's done, get some fine wet and dry paper and using 400, 800 & 1200, sand off the edges and you will have a perfectly smoothedge. Use plenty of water with the sanding. You would be better off cutting off too little of the screen instead of too much. If it's not enough you can always cut more off later.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

A very fine blade is not what you want to use. The blade clogs up with bits of plastic in record time. Use the blade recommended, which is usually a coarse blade. Just take it easy, and take your time.

I have one of them tall and wide windshields and I cut some holes in the windshield and installed the Vetter style pop-out air vents. Got them at an aircraft supply place.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Once youv'e cut the screen, if you get hold of a heat/hot airgun, the type used for paint stripping, play the heat about two to three inches from the upper edge, not to much or you may blister the screen, gently bend the edge of the screen upwards to give you the protection of a flip screen at higher speeds.

Get some spare material or an old screento practice on first (your offcuts are ideal)

If you take your time the results can make your screen look profesionally made

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I took mine to a local windshield glass place. I had marked theamount I wanted cut off and told them to retain the original contour. They had it back to me the next day and charged me $10 to do it.:clapper:You can't tell it's been cut down by the appearance.

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jkobman wrote:
I have an 83 GL1100.

I want to cutdown the windshield to get some relief from the Virginia heat in the summer.

1.Has anyone cut down (cut it shorter) a windshield?

2. Good idea or dumb idea?

3. How do I do it?

THANKS!!!!!:cool:
I've cut many aircraft windshields to install (they always come slightly over size) and agree with Englishted. I use a relatively fine jig saw blade, run the saw at low speed to keep heating at the cut down since that's what will clog the blade and mask off any area that the saw plate will touch. Make sure the plastic is clamped down so the saw can't grab it and go slowly. Don't try to cut the stuff when it's cold, need 70 degrees or better ambient to prevent cracking. Sand all edges and radius slightly. It's important to sand down as Englishted mentioned to reduce stress risers that cause cracks later on. Old plexiglass is more brittle than new, so be gentle.

The point Jerry made about a windshield that's too short is valid. I prefer a height that I can see over, about 1 1/2-2" below eye level. I don't like the buffeting a low screen allows. Wind wings or a vent might be an idea to try before cutting.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I have windwings, but stil feel liked a pc of meat on the BBQ when it's up at 90+ degrees. I cut down an old windshield (like the Harley guys) into a shortie, but I dont think it looks good. I also thought of a pc of aluminum, (also like my HD friends) but don't think that'll look OK. I can put up with the extra wind when it's 99 degrees (and I feel like a steel mill worker!!)

Thanks guys, I'll give this a shot! Anyone else want to weigh in?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

It can be done easily enough. A jigsaw with a very fine blade will cut the screen. First you need to cover the area to be cut with masking tape (this stops the plate of the jigsaw marking the screen), then draw the line to be cut. When it's done, get some fine wet and dry paper and using 400, 800 & 1200, sand off the edges and you will have a perfectly smoothedge. Use plenty of water with the sanding. You would be better off cutting off too little of the screen instead of too much. If it's not enough you can always cut more off later.

Yeah that!:)I cutdown my 1100 windshield 3" using that method. I'm 5'9" and that height was about perfect for me. No heavy buffeting unless I sat ramrod straight with the seat in the rear position.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I did cut my windshield down a little (aspy 1200) in order to see over it, and did find it buffeted my head around but I lived with it, it's a bike not a car :) But two years ago I installed a clear Tulsa with air vent. Now I sit right behind the windshield. I have wind wings and at 85 degrees I am comfortable with all the wind coming through the vent and the wings. I am 64 and my bones seem to be a lot happier when they are toasty :) maybe thats why I dont mind the heat.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.