Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya ever want to take a PO by the neck and squeeze real hard while shaking him alot?:lash:

So, I am taking my '82 GL1100 apart to rebuild. As usual, I find wiring jobs that can make you cringe.

I found (as we all have) tons of splices where the bare ends were just twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. No solder, no wire nuts.

Under the seat was a large harness. Initially, I thought it was just one of those trailer hitch harnesses you buy at any auto store. But, it was wrapped in a heat shield, canvas looking sleeve.

This harness was not connected at one end, and at the other end it dove down into a plug under the frame support so I knew this was from mother Honda.

But then, as I was deeply looking into the wiring so I can mark each line as to where it goes, I examined that plug closely. The wires from that harness were just stuck into the back end of the plug! :shock:

There were not soldered or connected in any other way- they weren't even twisted before being shoved into the plug. They were just shoved in there! WHAT A MAROON!!!

Oh, and they were just a common trailer hitch wiring harness.

Well, that's the end of that harness! lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
yes-- i would say that wiring harness needs some major help. maybe , even a replacement . good luck with it!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I don't know that you should be quite so quick to judge, did you buy it in immaculate condition? I doubt that you did!

Not everybody has the same love for the machine that we may, some just have to have it to get to work, others just don't give a $#!T as long as it runs (I've been there!!) and some just don't understand. I'd say, the bike is lucky that it ended up in your hands and maybe you and us can fix it up together.

Some people on here think I'm a wiring butcher. Simply because I use wire nuts, not Solder and heatshrink tubing. I run a downtown skyscraper for a living and all of the critical life support safety equipment within that building is connected with what? Yup! Wire nuts.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but it is still fun to make fun of them anyway... lol

Really, I do not mind wirenuts so much because they are safe and secure. It's the twisted together and wrapped in tape and not labeled stuff that irritates me- but I still make fun of them... lol

Personally, I prefer to get the two or three lead white plastic connector plugs that mother Honda uses. It makes it look all official and stuff. But sometimes I don't have any on hand so have used 3m clips or wirenuts (ever-so-rarely).

What I do though, is mark the wires as to what they are powering, and put an inline fault protected blade fuse- the kind that lights an LED if the fuse fails so it is real easy to spot. I also mount ALL my fuses next to the fuse block on the bike so I, nor a future owner, won't have to search the bike for it. Finally, I always use zip ties to secure wire runs- they are plenty cheap.

As far as marking the wiring, I use a fine point sharpie, and write right on the wire in several places (at it's start, in the middle somewhere, and at the fuseblock area) so it is obvious to anyone where this or that wire runs.

And when someone removes a device, PLEASE for the love of God, please remove all the related wiring! And if they don't care how it is connected, if they don't care how it looks, they should buy a Harley!:ROFL: Just kidding, I have plenty of friends and riding buddies with Harley's... and I always tell them their bike looks good- on the back of a flatbed tow truck... lol;)

But then, I am a freaking loon! Lol

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I also mount ALL my fuses next to the fuse block on the bike so I, nor a future owner, won't have to search the bike for it.
I personally don't give a $#!T if the future owner can see what I've done, or not, that is up to them to figure out, as all I've done is spent the last 11 years building the best GL1100 I can possibly build and, this ain't no pissing contest, the fact that I deliberately used wire colors that where not standard is just me, but without a doubt the wire I used was of a better quality than the original. So sue me!!

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I just want to share a personal experience with this that I still find funny.

Back in the early 90s, I was helping a friend with his newly acquired but previously owned Wing. The previous owner added driving lights, after market intercom, light bar, aftermarket CB, home engineered trailer harness, etc.

Much to our surprise, all the wiring for these additions were soldered, shrink wrapped; and yes, the same color and gage. ....

Yep, the previous owner was color blind. :doh2:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Yeah, I had a buddy like that too... He used black for ALL his connections but in his case he was cheap and was getting the wire from work on a 5 fingered discount... Talk about a nightmare to troubleshoot!!! For as bad as the OP's PO was, at least he used different colors!! ;)

Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.