Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 82 1100 A and I am having a few minor issues with. First I have a high rpm stumble under load. Around 6k rpm, she will start to act as though she is starving fuel, and then it will clear out. she idles great runs great on the road and gives 40 mpg. Does not do it all the time, mainly in 4th gear.
Next, I need a parts speedo. My trip meter reset thingy fell out somewhere on the road.
And lastly, spark plugs; minimum gap or maximum gap and what is this thing I read about grinding the electrode down, something about an old racers trick?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

I can't help with your carb problem Kevin as I own a 1500.
I don't know if messing with the plugs electrodes will do much if anything for a touring engine. I don't even adjust the gap on new plugs, I only fit and forget em.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I don't know how much it matters but I have seen it suggested on this forum several times that you should set the plugs at minimum gap. A shorter gap is easier for spark to jump across and also allows for a longer period before wear will get it out of tolerance on the maximum gap.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Get the carbs synched that might help some and try some new plugs .On the speedo mine did that when i was resetting it i just went and got one off of Ebay

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

Synching the carbs will do nothing for them above 1/4 throttle.
With stock coils minimum gap is preferred because of the weak spark. Do the neon coil mod and set them to max and you will love the way it runs.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

What part of the odometer are you missing? I have a couple of 1200 odos that may have interchangeable pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am missing the trip reset knob. Looks like there is a threaded shaft inside the speedo that the knob connects to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.