·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This all started with water getting into the oil. :(

At first it looked like head gaskets. So I changed those. :(:(

It turned out to be a VERY ill water pump so I changed that. :X

The bike then started and ran well until I stopped it (To set up to sync the carbs). Then the starter clutch gave up as the rollers were rusted in. How they engaged at all amazed me. :?

No I've put it all together again. The starter turns the engine nicely. BUT the engine won't start. Occasionally I get a massive backfire out of the left hand exhaust but no indication of the engine starting. :whip:

The plugs are sparking. Measured the pulse generator resistance as that's really the only thing ignition wise I touched when taking out the engine. All appears to be correct. :stumped:

My inclination is that I put the pulse generator back in 180 degrees out of sync but the book say's I can't.

HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Problem fixed :clapper::clapper::clapper:

The answer came from the GWOCGB forum.

Sounds strange but the pulse generator was 360 degrees out. In short, if you think about the engine cycle (suck squeaze bang blow) I was trying to bang when I should have been sucking (can I say that????) :baffled:

There were two possible solutions.

1. Take the engine out and set the generator up properly.

2. Swap the blue and yellow leads to the coils over.

As option 2 was slightly easier and quicker than option 1 the leads got swapped. :clapper:

Result - one running engine. Runs like a dog at the mo but I'm sure a quick carb balance will sort that out. :grinner:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Well done Graham. I seen this done before. Big flash of lightning out of the exhausts was the clue that time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.