1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:baffled:

Hi all

A change of job some 8 yrs ago relegated my GL1100 to the garage, although the engine has been manually turned over nothing else has been touched.

I decided recently to take the bike completely apart, re-paint, chrome etc,etc,etc, and get it back on the road.

The one area i never gave any thought towas the petrol tank, there were still a couple of Ltr's sat in the bottom, rather deteriated and smelly,after close inspection i founda fair portion of the internalshadrusted. Does anyone know if there is any way of cleaning out a petrol tank or am i looking at replacing it??

Thanks for any / all advise given.

Pedro

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum pedro! :waving:

You will probably need to remove the tank and treat it with some chemicals to remove the rust and re-seal it. Do a search (at the top of the page) of this forum on gas tank rust. There is a lot of info about how to fix it.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Greetings Pedro :waving:

You can buy some tank sealer that you pur into the tank and it seals the rust to the sides fo the tank, but it's still a good idea to get all the loose stuff out first. The tank isn't the easiest to take out of a GL1100, but it's the right way to go.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi Bob / Reddy

Thanks for that, i did a search & found everything i needed within a couple of minutes.

Brilliant!!

Thanks again

Pedro

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Pedro, if you can get a vacuum cleaner hose into the tank (drained and dry of course) you will be able to suck out all the loose rust before sealing the tank. This saves pulling the tank (and wheel, swingarm..) etc.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have bought a piece of hose to attach onto the hoover so, hopefully, i will be able to give it a thorough suck out!

I am at a slight advantage as the bike is now (at last)totally in bits, just got to remember where everything goes.

now then engine goes??? :stumped:???

Thanks all

Pedro

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey pedro :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Reddy :stumped:Update your profile and complete the LOCATION section, so that we will know where you live. :banana:

:whip: :18red: :whip:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Cheers redwing

I have only been a menber for 2 days, but on top of finding an answer to my question pretty dam quick, (thanks Bob)i have also aquired a hole bunch of tips and had a guffah or 2 at a buch of "big kids" (just my type) having a good hearted dig at each other while doing everything they can to distribute all of their hard earned knowledge from manyyears of feeling the wind in their hair (both on the bike and fixing it)

Bikers Heaven!!! :weightlifter:

Oh by the way, thanks you lot! a member for 2 days and i am already getting my ears bled by the misses for being on here too much.

And Reddy as Redwing says

Hey Reddy :stumped:Update your profile and complete the LOCATION section, so that we will know where you live. :banana:

By the way Reddy what do people know you as, not "Ever" is it (sorry couldn't resist.)

Pedro

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome Pedro to a great Forum. Great people and great info and a bulls**t to laugh at!! :waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome "Pedro" to the "WGGWWS" !!!

Glad you like it!

You become "Official" when you put a little chat in the "Deer Alert" thread!:goofygrin:

Tell the "Ms, don't worry it will get worse"!

Find a good Air Cushion for your PC seat!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Be forwarned that if your tank has permanet pickup tubes you can clog them with sealer according to the local honda dealer I had the same problem and my fix was bebes and solvent to clean the big crud out and then used cooling system cleaner in the tank for about 3 or 4 days rinsed thoroughly with solvent and treated with seafoam after that i was told that if i keep the tank full most of the time i should not have any problem so far so good 1month

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have made a couple of bags up out of a cotton shirt (nothing but the best for my wing) & tied them on the filters when i am finished i will blow back through the pipes to make sure all is well.

BFN

Pedro

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Right On Pedro!:clapper::goofygrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.