Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi ,new member from the uk, i have a smoky barn find gl1100, can i swap the 1200 motor straight in? i can get one cheaper than rebuild, any help appreciated, thanks:?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

More than likely you'll run into problems as the bike itself is different between years.

When you say 'smoky', what exactly is going on? Burning oil, white coolant steam, black over rich mixture? You'd be surprised how EASY these motors are to work on.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hi, bike was in a dry barn, then moved outside and left with the airfilter dissasembled. i found water had entered the left hand cylinders via intake valves. bores not too bad and motor runs but low on power and the longer it runs starts to put out white oil smoke and the right hand silencer gets very hot about halfway alond and emits sparks from the tailpipe

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

We have a shop owner (Southern Cycles) here in Corpus Christi, Tx who has an 83 with and 84 1200 in it, he (Tom Watson) states that an 84 1200 engine and only the 84 1200 is a straight bolt in, says they even run good with the 1100 carbs in place. I will provide you with his phone number if you would like to talk to him. Very knowlegable individual when it comes to older wings. I saw the bike personally, but never heard it run, as his counter man trashed it in some form or another. They are parting it out at this time. 361-882-5814 is his shop number.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have looked at it a couple of times and I just don't see how that ignition module on the back would clear the frame and the fuel tank???

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The 1200 is not a bolt in on the 1100 frame. It is wider, and longer than the 1100 engine, the wiring for the ignition system is different, the 1100 carbs will not fit unless they are modified, and the starter will not clear the frame without a good hammer. With a good cutting torch and a welder, of course it will fit. And, the 84 engines might be a hair different from the rest of the 1200s, but not that different in the size department. Heck, I could probably make a 1500 engine fit in a 1100 frame with enough work, but with all the work involved, I just don't see the use. You say it is smokey white on the left side and getting hot on the right on the 1100. That tells me that the right side is running very lean, (carb problem) and the left side just needs to be ran for a couple hundred miles with a new head gasket to fix it up. I would get new head gaskets, belts, and rebuild the carbs, and you'll probably have a good running 1100.:) Welcome to the forum!:cool:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Yep, as GLester said maybe you can repair the 1100 engine pretty easy. The white smoke means the water (or coolant) burning, caused either by the blown head gasket (as Glester said) or maybe just by the water that you said is present in the crankcase. Oil smoke is bluish. Sniff that white smoke, if it smells sweet then probably the coolant is burning (blown head gasket). You can also remove the radiator cap while the engine is running and look for any bubbles coming out of the coolant. If bubbling then most probably the head gasket. Measure the compression and see how it looks. I would also have some fun repairing the present engine. Rebuild the carbs, change the oil and filter, head gasket(s) if needed, timing belts of course, adjust the valve clearances and go ride the bike. I can alredy hear the chaps from USA saying to use the seafoam in the engine oil to purge the engineof the dirt and rust made by water in it.

Good luck! Alex

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi boboon and welcome to the site, good to have you with us. :waving:

Despite the symptoms that you describe, the fact is that that old baby is actually running, so that would suggest that things aren't terminal. :)

Don't forget David Silvers spares, do many spares and for the older Wings too, so you might want to do a pricing excersise before shelling out for a replacement engine. Often the replacement won't be in much better shape than the one you have and if you are able to reclaim the one you have it would be a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't"

Just some more thoughts and I wish you luck.

Enjoy the forums and visit often

:waving::waving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.