Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi. i want to lower my bike, can i put spring shock's, 11 or 12 inch shock's is the idea.
i'm sitting to high with the air shock's, will it work?it the bike in my display pic, i'm doing some modifaction's. motor , chrome etc:

thank's: D.k.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

Would it not be safer to lower the saddle instead? At least you wouldn't lose any groound clearance that way.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

There are some threads on the forum about how to lower Goldwings, a search should pull them up.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can but you tire may hit the fender on big bumps.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
I think cutting the seat down might be safer.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

It's common to CAREFULLY remove the cover from the seat, shave off a layer of foam, and reapply the seat cover, stretching it tight. You can also remove more foam and add HIGH DENSITY foam (thinner, but more cushion)and some people add gel pads under the cover. There are several threads here on ways to do it. check out the "search" feature.

Todd

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

good idea, but i'm leaning more toward's the 12 inch spring shock's...i tested a set on the bike todayi like the height.thank's

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Wondering if that will affect the alignment of the U-joints at the front of the drive shaft?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

hi does anyone know where i can get the diagram for the air rear shock's on the goldwing gl1100, and can the seal in them be replaced?

thank you:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

what i really wanted to know was can they be cut down to an inch or 2 in order to lower?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

drking wrote:
hi does anyone know where i can get the diagram for the air rear shock's on the goldwing gl1100, and can the seal in them be replaced?

thank you:
There is a diagram in the Honda manual but it doesn't show it with the spring removed. If you look at an online part seller you'll find the fiche under "rear cushion" that'll show the same view. Yes there is a seal in them that can be replaced. Take it off, pull off the boot, remove the circlip or snap ring and then blow the seal out with compressed air. With the seal out if you compress and hold the spring you can probably remove the spring clip and pull the spring out. It seems like I've seen Progressive replacement springsfor the rear. If your trying to lower her putting in a shorter spring IS NOT THE WAY TO GO. The spring is long enough to be able to keep tension on the shock when its fully extended. With a shorter spring that allows slop in the travel you'll probably get oscillation and have problems with handling on all but very smooth roads. To be safe you need to shorten the length of the shock or find a shorter pair. Perhaps if you disassemble it fully there's a way to modify it so a shorter spring would be able to fully extend it. LOL!!!

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

i had a 1000 that had the same
looked really bad, and i don't think is really safe.

thank's

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

had anyone heard of cutting off the bottom shaft, an inch or two, then rewelding it together again,

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Get a trailor hitch like mine below. It will pulll it down 2-3 inches. I am taking it off soon. Too bumpy for me.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.