Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok Gurus, heres one for you.

I ride to work 25 miles each way every day. Sunday I rode the bike prety hard on I 95 and at times reached speeds over 90. The bike ran great all day. Monday morning I was heading for work and began to warm up the bike, she idled fine for a bit and then died. It appeared to me that she was running on the fuel left in the bowls and then died due to not getting gas from the tank. I had to hurry so I jumped on another bike and took off. I didn't have time to work on her last night( the bike that is)so I waited till this morning, I checked the fuel pump and it was putting out fuel I opened the gas cap to relieve any vacuum, pulled the choke out and she started up fine and idled OK. When I tried to get on the road she died and did only run enough to get home with the throttle twisted to wot. Any ideas. Please advise.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

From your description I would be inclined to think it was an ignition problem, like a coil failing once it warmed up.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Have you checked/changed/cleaned the fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Yep new filter in August but that doesn't mean it isn't dirty.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

Possibly a partially blocked fuel tap? Some rust maybe blocking it? Try moving the tap to the reserve position and trying again.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Turned out to be the old gas cap vent thing.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

gas cap vent not working---funny how these things get over looked . i know i have not seen the underside of my gas cap for a good long while . thanks for the problem correction post.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I am new to this bike, I was not aware that we have a vented cap on a 82, should there be any vacuum at all in the tank?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

My gas cap vent is for sure bad. But it has yet to cause me any problems. Every time I go to fill up, it sounds like I am cracking open a cold one.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

When I got mine it had a car radiator cap on it. Got a new cap but it does not vent. This is the explanation I received. "A good seal will allow preasure to build letting the fuel flow better and assisting the pump and a good seal will stop any fuel evaporation". I'm not a "rocket scientist" but I'm getting an extra 20 miles on a tank of gas so I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

If the gas cap doesn't vent, then when the bike uses up gas, no air is let into the tank to replace the burned gas. You end up with a vacuum, until the vacuum gets so strong the fuel pump can't overcome it, and the bike "runs out of gas." Opening the gas cap fixes it until it does it again. You can fix it permanently by drilling a tiny hole in the gas cap.

Same thing happens to small airplanes when their fuel vents get plugged, but it's a bit more serious. A lot of them have "wet wings" where the wing IS the fuel tank, and it's only thin aluminum. The engine-driven fuel pump keeps pumping the fuel out of the tank, the vacuum increases until it exceeds the structural strength of the tank/wing, and the wing crumples and fails. That's a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

GSMaclean Are you saying our wings might collapse if not vented?:(:D

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I would never drill a hole in a gas cap. did that on a atv i had an dam near burn it to the ground. Ive heard of people soakin gas cap in sea foam an fixin problem. my gl1100 had abad gas cap so i bought a new oem cap for it. cost $38.00 now i dont have to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.