Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dumb question of the day....how many litres (quarts) of oil does my 1983 GL1100 Interstate hold and what viscosity should I be using....don't have the manual anymore....can someone assist here I hope. :?

Thanx.

riddl

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
From fully empty (brand new or rebuilt engine) the capacity is 4 quarts, but on oil change, it is 3.4 quarts (3.2 liters). Yes, there is that much residual oil that you just can't get out.

So, oil change, 3.2 liters, 3.4 quarts of oil.

Honda calls for 10w-40 for most temperate climates. You can start a major thread here on what oil to use. These bikes are finicky. I have used Delo, Valvoline, Mobile 1 and Rotella. My bike likes Rotella best. It will show up most on your shifting. If you bike starts to be hard shifting, it needs an oil change. I ran Delo for one oil change, ran great, next time, it shifted like crap. So I changed to Rotella, shifting smoothed right out. Others have opposite experiences.

Only rule: Never use an oil with anti friction additives, will ruin your clutch.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
well---- it say1s 2.8 imp. qt. after daining. 0r 3.2us. qt.after draining. book say`s 10w-40se .but i would run it for a bit and check for leakes and level in the window. if you changed the filter also . it will be low
the 10-40 should be ok in your neck of the woods. but if its got a bunch of miles on it , i `d go for the 20-50.
my 2 cents

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
10w-40

What they said on volume.

Also, if ever in doubt about volume on a vehicle, check the dipstick before the oil change and be sure it is 'normal'. Then drain oil/change filter into a container. Then measure the volume removed with an oil jug or old antifreeze jug. Add that amount plust what the filter probably holds. Run the motor and check level.
Rich

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
On your GL1100, use the window on the side of the engine for oil level. Right about in the middle after it's been run a while, then let it sit for a few minutes before you check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.