Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

I bought a CB/Intercom system on Ebay that was supposed to be complete and I'm not sure that it is. Can you please take a look at the enclosed picture and tell me if this is already part of the wiring system on an 83 Aspencade that has only the stock Clarion Stereo?

I've matched all of the wires/parts from the installation diagrams except this one, and I am hoping somebody here may recognize it before I take my fairing apart to do the installation. Sorry about the blurry picture, but I think you can still see it well, the text next to it says "Intercom Wire". I know logic tells me that since I don't have an intercom on the bike that I probably don't have the part, but I'm hoping it may be there anyway as part of the stereo system.

If not, does anybody have any suggestions as to where I might find either the wire, or a pinout so I can make one? I've already contacted the seller, and he says the bike came to him in pieces and he looked for the wire but could not find it.

Thank you in advance for you help,

Corey

http://www.baldwin.tv/bikes/cb_parts.jpg

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Norman. But I already did that. To be honest, I couldn't find the darn thing on those pages. I'm taking the thing apart on Saturday, so I will know if it's already on the bike or not. If not, I'm going to try to hardwire it (I have a schematic)

Corey

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You ´re right Corey. I had a good look myself and can´t find a part number. Good luck with the hardwiring. :waving:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, I didn't get to it Saturday, but I got to it tonight. I'm having some problems that maybe somebody here can shed some light on. In the following three pictures, you'll see the component terminal that came with my cb/intercom setup from Ebay. This has an extra piggyback module that isn't in my installation manual (http://www.baldwin.tv/bikes/radio/hondaline_cb_int.pdf). Should I assume that I plug theDIN connectorcoming out of the piggyback module into the port labeled ALC-AMP? And then plug my headset branch into the H.S. plug on the piggyback module?

I also found that the "Intercom wire" (http://www.baldwin.tv/bikes/cb_parts.jpg) is not already on the bike, but does replace what they call the "Adapter Wire Harness" (seen on page 4 of the above referenced PDF file) but it has some different connectors that I could not possibly hardwire because of the confusing way it looks to be wired.

I don't suppose there is anybody out there that would be willing to take theirs apart and either give me a detailed photograph (Of the individual wiring, you have to unwrap the tape holding it all together) or something similiar that would help me put this last piece of my puzzle together? I would be willing to pay for the service, let say $50.00 as long as it's a good enough photo or diagram for me to replicate.

I'll be out of town until May 1st, so if you can, just reply here and I will try to check during my trip, but definitely will check when I come home. I am riding the following weekend to Chicago with a friend and would love to have this CB working by then so we can chat along the way.

Thank you in advance for you help.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Hi Corey,

I went through the exact process that you are going through last month. I bought my components from different Ebay sellers. I then laid all my components on a bench and connected all the millions of wires. It was then that I found the "Intercom Wire" issue. I tried to figure how I could adapt the original "Adapter Wire Harness" but could find no info. Several of the connections can be reused, but their isa4 pin connector missing. I contacted several of the Ebay bike strippers and found 1 in Canada who had the proper "Intercom Wire". Now my radio/CB/int works well. I have attached a pictureof what you need. I will take mine apart and diagram the connections. I don't want money, just your never ending gratitude and a call when your in Chicago. I live 30 miles west.

Dadoo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
Hi Corey,

I went through the exact process that you are going through last month. I bought my components from different Ebay sellers. I then laid all my components on a bench and connected all the millions of wires. It was then that I found the "Intercom Wire" issue. I tried to figure how I could adapt the original "Adapter Wire Harness" but could find no info. Several of the connections can be reused, but their isa4 pin connector missing. I contacted several of the Ebay bike strippers and found 1 in Canada who had the proper "Intercom Wire". Now my radio/CB/int works well. I have attached a pictureof what you need. I will take mine apart and diagram the connections. I don't want money, just your never ending gratitude and a call when your in Chicago. I live 30 miles west.

Dadoo
Now you know why I love this forum, the members really go out on a limb to help one another out. Well done Dadoo.

[align=center]You meet the nicest people on a Honda, and on this forum! :clapper:[/align]

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Oh, how fantastic! Thank you so much!

Please post the diagram here, or email direct to me. I really appreciate this!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Mojo,

There are only minor differences between the "Adapter Wire Harness" and the "Intercom Wire".

The "Adapter Wire Harness" has two extra connectors that you will not need. They are the 2 pin brown and the 2 pin green. Just lay these over to the side and tape them over when you are finished with the below modification.

Besides the above mentioned connectors, all other connectors are the same except the 4 pin white male on the "Intercom Wire" and the 3 pin green on the "Adapter Wire Harness". The 3 pin green has all the connections needed to adapt to the 4 pin female on the "Component Terminal". You will note(SeePhoto)that the wire colors are the same except that the 4 pin white on the "Intercom Wire" has an extra wire(Red /white stripe). This wire(Red /white stripe) is electrically the same as the black wire and can be spliced to the same feed.

Now you can connect these wires to the "Component Terminal" 4 pin female or splice into the wires. Plug in the rest of the connectors. This will work. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Dadoo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Dadoo, I could kiss ya! lol

This is a keeper for anybody having the same problem in the future. I might even suggest to Steve that it's worth posting on his tips page.

I'll do this tomorrow and definitely let you know how it goes. I cancelled my trip out of town so Ican getthe bike back togetherthis weekend.

I just have that first question to worry about now. The extra module on top of the component terminal. Is there anybody that can shed some light on it? Should the DIN coming out of that plug into the ALC-AMP connector on the component terminal?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Mojo,

I almost forgot. The extra box on top of your "component terminal" will plug in logically when you assemble the components. The large, round plug goes into the ALC/AMO port on the bigger box and yourHeadset plugs into the smaller piggyback unit. The rest of the wires will follow the color codes. Lay it out on a bench and you will see how it assembles. I can't photograph mine because it is installed in the fairing. Follow your color codes.

Dadoo

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Ok, perfect! Thank you again. I've already got everything installed except that intercom wire. I'm going to splice two new 4-pin connectors tomorrow and complete the wiring before re-mounting the fairing. I'm just hoping to heck everything works, lol. It's going to be a fun job tracking down a problem if it doesn't. I will keep you informed.

Corey

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:(

I've either got something wrong with the intercom wire, or a bad component. I checked all of the fuses before installation, so that won't be the problem.

I can't hear anything out of the headsets. I can't talk through the headsets on the CB. I know the CB is working, because I can transmit (When I key the mike, another CB nearby hears it) but can't hear the CB through the speakers or headsets. I'm going to double check all of my connections this evening, but am at a loss. I would love to find somebody local with hondaline headsets to test. Mine are J&M.

Corey

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I'm about at my wit's end with this radio. The guy I bought it from said he found the wire I was missing, but when I received it today, it was nothing like what I needed.

I've tried to remove the amp from the system, and didn't have any luck there either. When I plug my headset's into the system, I get a loud buzzing sound, and if I turn all of the knobs to their highest level, I can faintly hear the radio (AM/FM, not CB). I'm on a hunt now for that intercom wire, as I think the problem lies there. Or there is possibly a short somewhere.

Dadoo, I only know of one shop that strips wings for sale, can you tell me where you found your intercom wire? Or any other strippers around?

Thanks,

Corey

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I'm learning more as I go here, and some problems are fixed while others still exist.

I ended up purchasing a new component terminal with attached headset AMP (This is the unit piggybacked on the comp term) and the most important intercom wire. This allows me to hear the radio inside the headsets now, but that's it. I still don't have intercom capabilities, and when I turn the volume up on the intercom, I get a high pitched squeal at approx. volume level 4. I have J&M headsets that are giving me this squeal, and also a walkman type headset (This came with my ebay purchased CB and looks to be OEM, maybe for riding without a helmet?) Both sets give me the squeal, and neither set transmits over the intercom (or should I allow that neither set receives over the intercom?)

I also still have a problem with the CB. It transmits..I've tested it with another CB, but I can't get any reception (Through speaker or headsets.) I tried removing the CB/Radio antenna splitter from the equation and plugging the CB directly into the antenna with no luck.

Does anybody have a suggestion as to my next move? Is there a common component denominator?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Corey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.