Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All!

Just got a new (to me at least) 1982 gl1100A. Need help with fuel pressure. Service manual says it will produce 2.5psi of pressure from the pump. I tested mine and only got 1.5psi. Pulled it off and inspected the pump. Everything looks fine. Reinstalled after cleaning and still getting same pressure from it. Does anyone know if 1.5psi is actual spec or could there be a problem?

BTW…First Honda and like it a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

How clean is the gas filter? might be low due to age/ miles.Does the bike run good? may be the gas cap is not letting the gas get pulled out, plugged. That's easy to check.,,

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

What is the volume it pumps?

The pressure is controlled by the spring so I doubt whether that changes much.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the reply guys!

Filter is new --- the bike has 75k on it!--- Bike runs well until rolling on the throttle at about 5k rpm, then boggs down. Not sure if it is throughout the power band or not. Not needed to really go until about 3rd gear then really notice it. I'm in Denver and not sure if it was ever jetted for altitude or not or if that could even cause the described symptoms.
Haven't checked the volume yet but will do it today!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Oh...BTW, recovers quick once I let off a bit. Almost feels like a rev limiter.?.?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

My 83 1100A will bog down in OD if you roll on the throttle at 3K or less. If yours bogs at 5K I'd think your not at peak performance. Try the roll on test with the gas cap loose. If its better you may have rusted up venting in your cap or the fuel pump might be the problem. I don't know about the '81, but you might also check for a vacuum advance problem. LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't think a fuel pump would cause a bog. You could probably shut off the petcock and it wouldn't matter for a short period. The fuel is coming from the fuel bowls and as long as gas is in them the bike should accelerate. If you slowly roll the throttle on does it go? If so, I would think the accelerator pump may be weak, or plugged up.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well........Seafoam works!!!!!
What a difference. I figured that I need to wait until I can save the money to buy the air shutoff valves and rebuild the carbs (again. I put in some seafoam and a coupple of days later; no problems. WOW! Stuff really works. Now I know what everyone is talking about.!

Thank you all for reaponding to the post!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.