Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i know that you can use the onboard compressor to fill tires on the newer wings. however is it possible on the 1100's.the compressor has a schrader valve outlet on top. can i just screw a hose into that? what setting would i run it on?front ,rear? hope someone knows.my manual doesnt say.i dont know if there is a relief valve built into compressor.its a 1982 gl1100a

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

I always assumed the Schrader valve on the 1100 was for pumping things up, like on the later models.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I can't answer your question but wanted to offer another idea. Compressors on the Wings are geared more for inflating shocks than tires and since they are required for suspensions on 1200s & 1500s, I didn't want to burn out that expensive part out. I carry a fist-sized 12v air compressor that I got at Walmart for $ 10 for non-suspension inflation chores.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Yes, It was intended to be used with a hose to inflate tires. I've seen operating instructions in the owners manual. I'll see if I can find them when I get home.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

I use my on-board compressor often for filling the tires. The air from the factory compressor is buffeted at a rate of 320/1, therefore the expansion rate is exactley where it should be. To low or high of a buff rate can cause the rim flaxuator to discombobulate and become bifercated.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks,i always like to know how everything works and what it canbe used for.with my sweetie and i pushing 440lbs.tent,sleeping bags,cooking gear,extra clothes,rain gear,etc. i want to use whats there for the odd breakdown rather than haul more stuff.but the fellow with the 10$ compressor is probably right.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

It's that good Minnesotan stuff :coollep:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My LTD no longer has an on board compressor or self leveling system, the hoses were rotted out, the switches were toast, the wiring was a rats nest, but I was able to salvage the compressor. It's a really neat little unit, much higher quality 12V than I have seen anywhere else. I bought a $.99 extension cord, cut the ends off it, put battery charger clamps on one end, and connected the other end to the compressor wires. I put a hose on it with a Schrader valve, and have already inflated several tires with it. It's as fast as one of those $10 Wally compressors, and will probably never wear out, I carry it in the trunk

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I don't like that cheap $10 SLIME compressor much, also read a post someone could not inflate a tire over about 20lbs with his. Need to check if they can do the job before they are really needed!

I do like the one a bit larger and often costs about $15.
I was going to buy a hose for my 1500 pump in case I need to inflate a tire on the road. Changed my mind though!
Why pay $10 for a hose when for $15 I can get an entire pump unit?
Also I ride more than one bike sometimes, and have many cars. I can carry the $15 thing in any vehicle in case I need it, the 1500 pump is only good for the 1500.
Also these bikes are getting old, I don't want to chance over using a 23 year old pump that I need on board for shocks trying to do tires when I don't have to.

Then you consider power source. The onboard compressor is either draining the battery or you have to have the engine running. You can connect the $15 unit to any vehicle, so if a car is handy use it instead of the bike.

Also the hoses are a bit short for the onboard, about 10'.
That is maybe not long enough for anyone pulling a trailer needing to air the tires.

Last but not least, when you see that cutie on side of road with a flat on her car, stop and plug the tire for her, use her car for the power source to air up that large tire with the $15 compressor! Sometimes it can be hard to get a large bike in a bad spot so a 10' hose will reach the tire!
Did that last year, and I can say I would never have got the bike close to her tire to use an onboard unit!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

thehorseman1955 wrote:
mnsnowman,,you need to quit smoking that stuff its messing up your english
GW ran the country for 8 years talking like that :ROFL:

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I thought I would get a chance to try mine a couple of weeks ago,but while I was plugging the tire a gentleman jumped out of his car and insisted I use his portable.I was kind of wondering how they would stand up doing tires myself although that's partially what they are there for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.