Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need help. I purchased an 82' GL1100A that had not been ran for 4yrs. I got it running but it would only run 1/2 throttle or higher.( I exspected the carbswould be gummed up so this was no surprise) Pulled carbs off. Were in bad shape. Cleaned well. New gaskets, accel. pump, float needle/seats, air cut off valves, 1-new pilot needle set ( 1 had been broke off )

1. between the intake planium 1/2's there was a brown strawapprox. 3" long was unsure where this went so guessed most logical spot based on how thing went together. Does any one know for sure where it goes? Can you direct me to a diagram?My Honda shop manual does not show this straw at all.

2. It's back together and runs better, from say 1/4 trottle on up but is running very rich.Still won't idle without turning throttle stop way up. Pops, backfires, spits, sputters etc.

3. Adjusted pilot needles 4-5 turn out w/ engine warmed up good. runs very well, idled good thought I had it. Back to it next morning cold pulled choke out fired right up ran good about 20 seconds, popped small backfire then all hell broke loose.

4. Now kinda back to squar one won't idle, pops, backfires etc. and the #1 cylinder floods if I leave the gas on w/ engine off. I suspect the float needle is stuck open. I am getting ready to pull carbs off again. I am hoping to get some feed back to see if I am on the right track. Please any suggestions/ help are welcome

Thanks

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Boy...quite a few Carb issues here lately.

1) Been too long since I've seen the inside of an 1100 plenum.

2) Did you clean out the tank and change the fuel filter

3) Seems a little far with the pilots, nothing left on the seats before reassembly.

4) Did you clean the tank, change the fuel filter, replace the fuel lines and flush from the tank to the carbs.

Most carb jobs done on bikes that have sat for a while are redone shortly because of foreign material making it's way into the float seats.

If the carbs were gummed up severely I hope you soaked them at least overnight and used compressed air to make sure all passages were open before reassembling.

Looks like you'll be pulling the carbs one more time.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi RAK1and welcome to the forum. The floding carb alone would make the bike run like a real pig. You might find that currently this is the cause of your problems. I'd also be wondering if the petrol tank was full of rust as well, getting pumped into the carbs.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

I agree with the fitst two replys . I hade mine off 4 times before I finally got it right. gunk in the lines and pilot jets were the two biggest probs. Keep at it mine runs really nice now.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did soak the carbs and blow out all passages w/ compressed air, I was diligent about making sure the carbs were clean.

I am embarrassed to admit it never occurred to me that I should flush the tank and fuel lines. I will do it this time around along with a new fuel filter.

If anyone knows about the correct placement of the brown tube between the planium halves please let me know.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

The brown tube goes between the left and the right plenum, on the bottom very middle, there is a hole on each side. It slides in when you put the 2 halves back together.

I think the factory setting for the air screw is 1.5 turns, 5 is way too much.

The air cut-off valves sound suspect to me. Being that there are 4 of them, there is room for at least one to be messed up. Did you replace them with Honda parts? Some of the aftermarket ones I have seen are crap, off centered, wrong weight springs. Also are you sure they are sealed properly? Are the intake boot clamps on tight? Did you replace the intake tube o-rings?

I just cleaned my GL1100 carbs, so any questions I might be able to answer, ask away?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Did you check float heights? - Made a big difference for me. 15.5mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Rak, welcome to the forum. I agree with every thing said. Change the fuel filter if you haven't already. Be sure the low speed jets are clean. There is a tiny hole in the middle of these beasts and when they are clogged with varnish, you sometimes think the bottom of the jet is solid. The air cutoff valves are very suspect, they are probably all bad unless they have already been replaced. The floats must be set to 15.5 mm (0.61 in.) and the pilot screw starting setting is 3 turns out on the '82 models. Hang in there, it will work. Keep us informed of your progress.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the info on the brown tube I will double check its placement when I disassemble everything again. I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet.

I did replace all four air cut off valves w/ new ones but they were not genuine honda so I will check those as well.

The intake boots are on tight, I checked them when I started having so much trouble.

Yes I did install new intake O rings.

I will double check the float height as well.

With a little luck I can get the carbs back off in the next day or two. (Long hrs. at wk. little extra time.)

Thanks to all of you for the info. you've all been a great help. I will post the results of my findings soon.

RAK1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.