Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

have gl1100 aspencade. the lights have guit working along with the digitial voltmeter in dash and the outside temp gauge. I checked fuses under tank cover battery is good, bike starts up and runs just have no lights. checked with meter and no juice on power wire. discouraged and upset. supposed to leave thursday for 30 year high school reunion. definatly would appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

You sound like you know something about electrical wiring...So my suggestion is get your test light and trace from power circuit, or battery to where you lose power..then if it were me I would be looking for a corroded plug or a burnt wire...There will be others that might know exactly where to look and give you more and better information...Mine is just my .02 cents worth....

Claude.....

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

My problems were caused by bad contact at the fuse holders, cleaned them with some real fine sandpaper and all is good now.

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

I dont see what year or model 1100 your working on , there are changes in wire colors ect .

That said , it appears the common point in your search is the starter push button switch assy . As I read the prints this switch should open the headlamp circuit during starting . Perhaps the switch is stuck with that circuit open .

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You might pick the manual on the web, and see where those three things have a common point.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Chris I checked the starter switch button and everything fine. I didnt think that was it because starts and runs fine. Is there anything more you can tell me about this 7 volt diode and where it might be. Now this is on my 1100 aspencade not my 1500 goldwing interstate

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

That happened the other day on my 83 Aspencade during the day so I didn't see if the lights were not working. Noticed the ambient temp & volt were not reading out. Got home, shut it off. Started it later & all were working fine. Yesterday I was out for a ride & noticed on the highway my volts were down to 11.5v after having been normal with low beams on, 2 35 watt driving lights(relayed & new fused circuit from battery). Shut off the driving lights & volts were back to normal 13.5-13.7v. This was the first time on for the relayed wire up. I had all the wiring out when I did the resto on the bike last year & no bad wiring in there. So I have some more testing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The voltmeter on my 1983 Aspencade lies alot. Frequently 2 volts less than it really is at the battery.

Last night the bike's electrics popped and went dead after pushing the start button. The negative terminal was corroded or loosened. Re-tightened and it started again.

Either it's age, or something , but the wiring can be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

ignition switch pad bad?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.