Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What's the name of the company that rebuilds these older carbs?

Also how hard are they to remove and replace yourself?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

2ac911 wrote:
What's the name of the company that rebuilds these older carbs?

Also how hard are they to remove and replace yourself?
Don't knoe about any company but Raddakk has the abolute best rebuild kits bar none. Even better than Momma Honda. Here is his link. http://www.randakks.com/

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Be prepared to open wide the wallet . That said theres nothing better than a good set of clean carbs .

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was thinking of Pistol Petes. Found his info on the Radakks site as an approved rebuilder. Anybody ever use them? How was their work?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

They are not too hard to remove, if you have some basic skills.

Buy the Randakk kits, get some Honda carb. cleaner, take them off the bike, get a pizza, andcome over.

Bill

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

There ya go, what better way to do them. Way to go 77pinto!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

911, if you want you can PM me with your contact info, as I would like to go over with you the reason WHY you want them done, what is wrong with how its running.

Bill

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sent you a PM. Looked at doing it myself but looks pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NOT HARD TO REMOVE..just has to be done correctly..several how's too threads on it..here and at NGW. and In randakk's site.hardest part is loosening the cables..and then pushing it out the left side. It's a tight fit.

Pistol Pete is about $400 and randakk's kit is about $125.. so it's labor around $275 part $125

And Pistol Pete is one of the best..

Best how to http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11283

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Great how to for sure! Wish I had that before having done mine 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I agree, great write up. The only things I would add is: AS SOON as you unbolt the intakes you should TAPE over the intake ports to keep stuff from falling in, and put tape on the water ports to keep them from getting scratched up.

Also, I got your PM, but no contact info. Again, I would like to know what the problem you have with the bike is.

Bill

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Also get the large sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight, put the Seafoam in that and wash the parts with it while you have some beers and pizza.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

77Pinto the bike runs ok at 50 to 65 or so. When you get on the throttle to pass or on a step grade it bogs right down. You either have to back off on the throttle or down shift. At around town speeds or just cruising it's fine. Almost got run over by a tractor trailor because I could not get out of the way.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

That sounds like it could also be a clogged fuel filter.

You may just need a good carb cleaning. Too many unessesary rebuilds in my opinion.

My 1100 sat for9 years and only the low end jets where fouled. Had the carbs cleaned (no kits) and it ran fine.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Yep, don't sound like that there is a reason for any rebuild.

Maybe lack of fuel for several reasons? Vacuum leak? Have you had them Synced?

If it runs good normally to 50 or 65, and idles well, then it sounds like some other problem.

Weak fuel pump, clogged lines or filter, bad vacuum, etc..

Dump some seafoam in the tank and take a 200 mile ride, fill and more seafoam, ride, repeat for about a week.
During this time look for other problems you may have.

Seafoam should clean out the carbs if anything in there.

Sounds like it runs good normally, but a wide open throttle it gets starved for fuel?
That's when the vacuum is lowest and you need the most fuel. So it could be either, but I doubt it's a problem with carbs needing a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I will not comment as to wether or not the carb.s "need" a rebuild until I get more info, but I would NOT call doing it a "waste" if they have NEVER been done.

Bill

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I know the carbs were worked on before I got the bike but I don't know to what extent. It isn't a plugged fuel filter of that I'm sure. I just replaced that. The bike did sit for about 4 or 5 years before I got it. The cards were worked on before it was sold. It could be a vacuum leak or a weak fuel pump. Not sure how to check either.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Define worked on to the best of your knowledge, or at least what you were told when you got it.

If the bike sat that long you need to think about a rebuild anyway just to be sure, and if the person that 'worked' on them did not know what they were doing, then you NEED to do them.

Yes, you could have pump or tank issues as well. If you test the pump and it shows low pressure it could be that the pump is bad or you have a clog before it (like in the tank). You can check both with a automotive style guage.

Still do the carb.s anyway, its your best bet for trouble free riding. Also think about timing belts and a waterpump.

Bill

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Carbs were worked on at a Honda dealer in R.I. Belts being done as we speak. Water pump is good according to the mechanic that is doing the belts. Could it be a partial clog in the petcock or fuel tanl?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.