Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am still working on my 1981 GL1100I and have it running real good . Wife and I have been rideing almost every weekend.

I would like to know if I can put the duel piston rear and front brakes from and 82 or 83 GLon my 81 Interstate ( will they fit?).

Also I would like to get a 150MPH speed o meter from an older GL or if the 83 GLwould workand get away from the old 85MPH meter.

And last , is it possiable to replace the old 19 and 17 inch wheels with the 83 18 and 16 or would I have to change the final drive also?

Thank You all for any info .

Sonny <///><

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

If you change to the 16 inch cast rear wheel I suggest you also exchange the swing arm for an 83 models , it is wider at the point the tire is and will guarantee it will not rub the tire, I only had a problem with this when riding with a load or passenger.
The front brakes from the 83 will not fit the 81 front end, you need to swap wheels ,brakes and rotors, and front end for this setup but it is ideal . Triple trees are the same.
you can get by without a final drive swap, there is a little difference tho in the final gearing.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get the old wing in good running shape.

It has 30,000 miles on it and runs great after some work. Sat in a dealers window up in PA and has some fade in the trunk top lid and the paint is a little faded. Most of the Chrome has pit rust on it , have been trying to remove the rust had some luck but will have to replace most or have it rechromed.

Anyway I am retired now and the cost of a new bike is out for me so I will keep working on the old 81 GL.

This is my first time with a Goldwing I have always had Suzuki bikes , in fact I still have tools and shim kit for the GS1000E bike I had. Suzuki bikes are easy to work on but this old wing is not bad just some parts are hard to get to.

Thanks again for the good info.

take care .

Sonny <///><

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey sonny boy. Dont worry about the pitted chrome. You cant see the pits at 75mph. Besides the rechroming moneyh will get you many engine parts. Timing belts,iridium plugs, good tires.
have fun and embrace the sickness.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

welcome sonnyboy, the guys on this site helped me alot when I first got my 82 going, nobody knows more about the 1100 and u will love how great these bikes ride.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the good info.
I had some water drops on the floor comming out of the hole under where the water pump is located, but after I went out on a 100 + mile trip it has not leaked again, I do have a new pump for the bike. My question is should I go ahead and change out the old water pump even if it is not leaking now???
Thanks again for all the help.

Sonny

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My friend put a 1982 front wheel, forks and brakes on a 1980, no problems.

The 1982 and later front wheel/tire is a more common size.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

you can get by without a final drive swap, there is a little difference tho in the final gearing.[/quo(QUOTE)te],,,,,,,,,,,,,change that to :
You need to use the same year final drive unit with the same years wheel star that fits inside the wheel cush drive bushings, where this fits together is different

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.