Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a popular subject. I just want something cheap black and durable for the long run always loaded with 2up. I'm not really in to the darkside but I would like a tire that lasts under the load and handles well on the twisting roads out here.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
cheap tire

what you want just doesn't happen,at least not all three at once

another thing,are you mounting your own tire or have to have it mounted and installed?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Is your life so bad that in this case, price matters and not your safety??? As bad as my life is, I still want the best tire out there for my bike and of course price matters but in this case with so little rubber on the road and traveling 2 up, sometimes price has to take a back seat.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Is your life so bad that in this case, price matters and not your safety??? As bad as my life is, I still want the best tire out there for my bike and of course price matters but in this case with so little rubber on the road and traveling 2 up, sometimes price has to take a back seat.
I have to agree,the only thing between your a-- and the road is two tires,and in this case your wife(or girlfriend),spend a little more and get a good tire

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Try the Shinko 230
I've heard good things about the Shinko. The price is certainly right.
But I have no idea on the longevity of the tire.
If you only do 4,000 a year, it would probably be okay, since you should be concerned with the age of the tire, as well as the mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Kenda 673 Kruz....if it's made in the size you need. Great tire, reasonable price. Order from Amazon...usually best price.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Thsi is precisely why I now have a Battlaxe rear tire turned backwards upon the front rim of my 1200 and a GL1500 rear end (larger rim) ready to get the Austone car tire soon.

With the 1200 rear rim you are limited to only motorcycle tires and realistically non of them are designed for the weight that we put on these bikes two up and loaded, especially pulling a trailer too. Even the inner bearing on the 1200 rear wheel wallows out due to overloading whereas the 1500 rim has a doubled inner bearing instead.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what you want just doesn't happen,at least not all three at once

another thing,are you mounting your own tire or have to have it mounted and installed?
I'd rather let someone else mount the tire I'll pull the tire myself. The kind of tire I need is fairly stiff and will almost run flat.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truly life is good, money is in short supply, But everyday the Lord give's me is good in it's own way better when I get to ride. And yah she my wife and loves to ride Not drive but ride. I don't want our bike to fall because of the tires.

Most important in this order:
1 safety
2 weight
3 longevity
4 price under 500 maybe 50,000 miles although 10,000 - 20,000 will work if that's all I can get.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
I'd rather let someone else mount the tire I'll pull the tire myself. The kind of tire I need is fairly stiff and will almost run flat.

If you're talking about running the tire when the air pressure is almost gone I don't think you'll be using a motorcycle tire as there is no "run flat" models available that I know of unless you go to the Dark side with a car tire and I don't think that's been done yet....

I run the Dunlop E-3's on mine and have been very happy with them as to how they handle and how they are lasting. They cost a bit more but, as I said, I'm happy with them!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
well you'll never see 50k on a 1200 two up,maybe 20K if you are lucky with an E3 or maybe a Commander II which just came out(limited reports)

a shinko you'd be lucky to get 8K,and even that is 2/3 the price of an E3

are you saying you are riding a Shinko 230 now and at 3K its worn out,if so that's the worst i've ever heard

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I had the 230 on my 1200 and loved it. I got 8000 miles on it, and the best ride I ever got from a tire, except the Avon Cobra on the 1800.

Shinko rode great and it held the roads very well. For an $85 tire (A few years ago) it was a great buy! I would do it again.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I run the Dunlop E-3's on mine and have been very happy with them as to how they handle and how they are lasting. They cost a bit more but, as I said, I'm happy with them!
That's what I was sort of leaning toward It's just I flinched when I saw the price.

what sort of mileage? Is there a budget wise place to obtain these e3's?

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're talking about running the tire when the air pressure is almost gone I don't think you'll be using a motorcycle tire as there is no "run flat" models available that I know of unless you go to the Dark side with a car tire and I don't think that's been done yet....

well you'll never see 50k on a 1200 two up,maybe 20K if you are lucky with an E3 or maybe a Commander II which just came out(limited reports)

are you saying you are riding a Shinko 230 now and at 3K its worn out,if so that's the worst i've ever heard
Yah I'm rough on tires, shoes and clothes.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

who makes the Commander
II new to me

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
That's what I was sort of leaning toward It's just I flinched when I saw the price.

what sort of mileage? Is there a budget wise place to obtain these e3's?

No need to flinch about the price in my opinion.. After all. What's more important if the "Sausage Creature" shows up in a curve and wants yer body? Tire traction or Band-Aids?

I've only got about 3-4000 miles on these so far but I'm expecting about 8000 miles on the front and about 12,000 on the rear at least.... And getting back to cost... I bought mine at the local Honda dealership and took the tires there to have them mounted and reinstalled them myself for about $110.00 for the front and about $130.00 for the rear.

IMHO that's some inexpensive Band-Aids.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.