Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New to the form and new Goldwing owner. I have a 85 gl1200 aspencade a week ago I had starting issues that resulted in changing the coils out. The bike now starts fine but still having issues that start at 3200 rpm then around 3400 it just get worse, If I pull the throttle down more the bike will start to stall,.I can back off the throttle and every thing will go back to normal,AS long as I keep my rpm's down it runs smooth. The bike was owned by an older fellow and he just putted around. I've ran two tanks of fuel through it so far but it hasn't helped. Could it just be dirty jets and will get better after fuel treatments or could it be electrical ? Also how good are the front brakes supposed to be, I came off a Triumph Trophy 1200 that had the best front brakes of any bike Ive rode.The wings brakes seem weak.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
How has the maintenence been? Plugs changed recently, along with fuel, and air filter? Have you added Seafoam to the gas? This could clear out plugged jets to a point. Has the brake fluid been changed recently, and bled? Have the fork sels leaked in the past allowing fork oil to get on brake pads?
gumbyred

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The former owner just put new plugs in it and suppose to have added seafoam the fuel nor air filter have been changed. No leaks in the forks and didn't have the break fluid changed either. The fellow that owned it didn't do much the bike needed a cleaning in a bad way. When I was having starting issues the fuel in the tank didn't smell like fuel but it didn't smell like bad fuel either so I was under the impression he had added to much seafoam to the amount of fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rode the bike 120 miles today as long as I keep the rpm down below 3200 it runs fine. But pull the throttle hard and the bike will nose dive .

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is a carb issue, passages are partially clogged small amount of dirt in the mid range circuit. Drain the tank flush add new gas change fuel filter and clean the carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Since the cleaner hasn't had any effect, I don't think it's a carb issue. More likely a fuel pump. The same symptoms I had last summer. I think my fuel pump was having troubles with "hot" fuel/vapors. Couldn't keep the bowls full.
Do a fuel pump capacity test. And as advised, check/replace the fuel filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just running a addd to fuel cleaner through it will not clean gunk from the small passages carbs have to be stripped down

Try taking it down the road when it starts to stall engage the choke about 3/4 choke should do it ,if it improves next step is to take the carbs off and clean them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok been out trying to get things more sorted out. While sitting in neutral the bike will rev to 6k without any trouble it revs up hard and fast. But things go different out on the road. In first gear slowly adding throttle it will rev up to 4800 sometimes even higher.same for second gear and third. whats weird is it will run 68 in third but no matter how I tried even with 2 more gears 71 was top speed before it starts sputtering. I tried adding choke but it didn't help.seemed to hurt. I can start off hard rev up to 44k but the minute I change gears and hit the throttle it sputters. You cant roll out in first gear and dump the throttle either.If it was carbs wouldn't it not rev up high in neutral?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Still sounds like clogged carburetor passages. Your carbs use different passages to feed fuel and air at different rpms. If less than four cylinders were getting fuel, what you described about raising rpms in neutral and not while riding in gear is exactly what would happen. Clean the whole fuel system, tank, petcock, fuel lines, new paper filter. Sea foam works great but usually doesn't clear a totally plugged passage, more drastic cleaning is usually needed. Sea Foam also can foul plugs with the carbon that it loosens. Clean or change the plugs after using Sea Foam.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
All good suggestions, guys!:claps:

I have the same bike basically, and I'm thinking vacuum leak at the bottom of the intake elbows. If the large O-rings there have not been replaced anytime recently, they become flat as pancakes. I'd pull those aluminum intake elbows and check them. Hell, I'd just replace them as it's not much money to do so. Vacuum leaks show up under load, when you're getting into the throttle. In the case of these O-rings, they'll lean out your fuel/air mixture to nothing thus loss of power. Just a humbly submitted thought. What do your spark plugs look like?

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Most likely a fuel delivery problem. Do the test outlined above.

Put the bike on centerstand in 4th or 5th and runup the RPM's with some foot brake pressure applied simulating the road condition.

If you can get it to act up on stand spray some carb clean into open intake for carbs. If there is a change for the better fuel problem confirmed. Cyclo carb clean works good other enviro friendly brands:?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,341 Posts
How are the slide diaphragms doing? Could be a slide sticking or a perforated diaphragm.
I've seen water in the bottom of the bowls do what you describe but SeaFoam should have taken care of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.