Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everybody here, in the past time my 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade doesent run right.
When i turn it on it runs like 10 min and it turns off and there's no way to start it until it cools down, when i try to start it again the starter spins the engine but it doesn't start, the temp. gauge show normal temperatures, i visited all the mechanics in my town nobody knows how to fix it so im asking you guys on this forum what could it be and how i could fix it.
also someone recommended my to replace the tilt angel sensor i bought one and cant find where it is...
when i was searching for the sensor to replace i found this suspicious connector:
106310324_561206874554501_957032470211225077_n.jpg

what can i do to fix it?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Hello everybody here, in the past time my Honda Goldwing GL1200 se14 doesent run right.
When i turn it on it runs like 10 min and it turns off and there's no way to start it until it cools down, when i try to start it again the starter spins the engine but it doesn't start, the temp. gauge show normal temperatures, i visited all the mechanics in my town nobody knows how to fix it so im asking you guys on this forum what could it be and how i could fix it.
also someone recommended my to replace the tilt angel sensor i bought one and cant find where it is...
when i was searching for the sensor to replace i found this suspicious connector:
View attachment 322882

what can i do to fix it?

year and model would help. never heard of a se14.

that red connector is not OEM.

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Sounds like the crank sensor (CKP) is bad. Looks like someone bypassed the fuel pump relay.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
I agree with Dave. What you might try is take the belt covers off and heat it up until it acts up/ When it acts up take a water hose and cool the sensor down quick. See if it starts when it is cooled down with water. It is not a guaranteed test but I have seen lots of these type sensors that respond to the water treatment. It is a good clue anyway.

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
I'm wondering if the se14 is a typo for SEi ??

Adin,
is your bike normally carburetored, or Fuel Injected?
From what I see in the pictures it's not an SEi, it carbureted.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
From what I see in the pictures it's not an SEi, it carbureted.
Then you are still right except it is pulse generators (PG) instead of crankshaft senor (Ns) Been so long since I looked at a GL1200 I can't remember what either looks like. Did the carbureted ones have the fuse boox on the top of the air filter? I should remember as I owned an 85.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Then you are still right except it is pulse generators (PG) instead of crankshaft senor (Ns) Been so long since I looked at a GL1200 I can't remember what either looks like. Did the carbureted ones have the fuse boox on the top of the air filter? I should remember as I owned an 85.
Yes, looks like my '85 Aspencade did or does. It was probably 25 years ago I last saw the same view of an injected one, no idea how they differed? PG I think is his issue.

You mentioned cooling with water, as test. Good idea.

Years and years ago I came upon a large motor home on I-81 south coming up out of the big dip at Buffalo Creek, it was on the shoulder, rear engine bay doors open, two guys with their backs to me, could see the one guy scratching his self like some guys do when in deep thought, he turned as I walked up and we spoke, I said "You're Geoff Bodine", he said "Yep" … they were on the way to Bristol, they had been pulling over when the engine started to die and pouring water on the control module for the injection, but after repeating a few times, but no good this time, a couple hours later I stopped to check again, we called a towing service out of Roanoke with a drop deck trailer to come get it. They were pretty nice, I forget who the other fellow was. I recall a GF, a wife, a puppy.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Yes, looks like my '85 Aspencade did or does. It was probably 25 years ago I last saw the same view of an injected one, no idea how they differed? PG I think is his issue.

You mentioned cooling with water, as test. Good idea.

Years and years ago I came upon a large motor home on I-81 south coming up out of the big dip at Buffalo Creek, it was on the shoulder, rear engine bay doors open, two guys with their backs to me, could see the one guy scratching his self like some guys do when in deep thought, he turned as I walked up and we spoke, I said "You're Geoff Bodine", he said "Yep" … they were on the way to Bristol, they had been pulling over when the engine started to die and pouring water on the control module for the injection, but after repeating a few times, but no good this time, a couple hours later I stopped to check again, we called a towing service out of Roanoke with a drop deck trailer to come get it. They were pretty nice, I forget who the other fellow was. I recall a GF, a wife, a puppy.
Geoff's girlfriend after his divorce was Tanya Tucker...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Dave. What you might try is take the belt covers off and heat it up until it acts up/ When it acts up take a water hose and cool the sensor down quick. See if it starts when it is cooled down with water. It is not a guaranteed test but I have seen lots of these type sensors that respond to the water treatment. It is a good clue anyway.
When i drive it in the rain it doesnt overheat it could be thta

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Was having another brain lock so couldn't think of PGs. The ignition control module & the fuse box in the picture clues me into carbureted.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Was having another brain lock so couldn't think of PGs. The ignition control module & the fuse box in the picture clues me into carbureted.
So it is carbureted? Probably pulse generators? In the post above he said it overheats in the rain???? I don't recognize the flag so I wonder if he is struggling with English?

·
Administrator
59,035 Posts
So it is carbureted? Probably pulse generators? In the post above he said it overheats in the rain???? I don't recognize the flag so I wonder if he is struggling with English?
ummm, go back and read his last post again: no commas used, but I think he means in the rain will not overheat.

When i drive it in the rain it doesn't overheat it could be that

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Geoff's girlfriend after his divorce was Tanya Tucker...
Now I kind of feel shorted, though it seems maybe a buddy told me the same at supper, he was all about Tanya and Reba both (don't get me wrong, would love to meet either). Anyway, the ladies stayed in the bus, but I did meet the other guy and a little puppy, Yorkie or Shnouzer (spl?) as I recall. Geoff's head had a fuzzy white covering. Was 183mm sb I-81, warm evening. He clowned around some. Nice guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for that, English is not my first language. So what i meant is when i drive my goldwing in the rain, it drives normally it doesn't turn off

·
Registered
307 Posts
That would definately suggest overheating pulse coils.
You need an accurate meter to check resistances and i susspect you will find 1 of them out of spec

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
There was a "known Issue" with pulse generators in that year. I remember being on several rides when bikes actually quit running at speed. They would not restart until they cooled down (usually about 20 - 25 minutes).

It was usually with the SEI models but could extend to the other models.

But I am not a GL1200 expert, others will know more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts