Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've spent some time last week reading through the old forum here and picked up some good tips before it gets pulled for good. Based on that I checked out the condition of the connector block under my side panel and it looks slightly melted and brown. The wires seem okay. Before I get the soldering iron out, how do I test for proper charging (have a multi-meter)?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Testing the stator is very easy do, you only nead a voltmeter set to above 50volts AC, connect either wire from the meter (red and black) to to any pair yellow wires, with the engine running at about 3000rpm you should get around 50volts AC if any pair of the the yellow wires do not show this votage the stater may be suspect.

Test number two, set your mutimeter to OHMS, then with the engine NOT running test each pair of yellow wires, you should have continuity ie; a complete curcuit, on each pair of the yellow tested.

Test number three, with the mutimeter set to OHMS with the engine NOT running clip one of the meter wires to earth then test each individual yellow wire with the other meter wire, in this test you should NOT have continuity ie; NOT a complete curcuit.

Mike (Walsall)
This isn't me, but I figuredMike deserves the credit. Hope you don't mind Mike.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks mate and thanks to Mike (whoever he is) as well. I will get stuck in tonight while I still have the light!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Smokerella.

Roscoe, can you clear something up for me...is this a typo?

Compare the three readings. They should be between 50-70vac plus or minus about 5vac per leg. If they read good, chances are you've got a bad regulator.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Welcome to the forum Smokerella.

Compare the three readings. They should be between 50-70vac plus or minus about 5vac per leg. If they read good, chances are you've got a bad regulator.
No, it's no typo Dennis because if the short to groundcheck, continuity check, ANDthe voltage checkall turn out goodand you still don't have a good DCcharging voltage the chances are that the regulator/rectifier is bad... Thanks for checking me though!! :coollep:

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I've spent some time last week reading through the old forum here and picked up some good tips before it gets pulled for good. Based on that I checked out the condition of the connector block under my side panel and it looks slightly melted and brown. The wires seem okay. Before I get the soldering iron out, how do I test for proper charging (have a multi-meter)?

Before doing the splice around the plug, do the stator tests .... then if she passes .... do the splice around the plug and after al is together, check voltage at battery with engine running and a known good battery. Look for 14+ VDC at battery then.

No guarantees that all will remain well, it may for a year or ten? Enjoy .... worrying will not help it. If on a trip, have a simple backup plan .... mine is "U-Haul" to get me and wife and dog and bike home where I'll fix it if needed.

;)

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
If you put a bullet in the furnace, it'll explode!!!:coollep::coollep::coollep:
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Geez, I'm sorry Don. I read that last word as "stator" and re read it a COUPLE OF TIMES before I decided to ask. I used to be able to read, but this must be part of that whole alzheimers experience, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:

roscoepc wrote:
If you put a bullet in the furnace, it'll explode!!!:coollep::coollep::coollep:
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
Only if it's hot..... :cool::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Geez, I'm sorry Don. I read that last word as "stator" and re read it a COUPLE OF TIMES before I decided to ask. I used to be able to read, but this must be part of that whole alzheimers experience, huh?
That's OK Dennis! After you asked, I had toreread my post a couple of times just to make sure I was posting good info!!! And that IS sad because I've made the same post now,,, what... 200-300 times??!!!!!:cool::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.