Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's a picture of what I assume are accessory switches box on the right side handlebar that were installed by the original owner and assume whatever they controlled are no longer on the Wing. They no longer light up or control anything that I'm aware of. Any ideas???

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Are there any accessories on the bike? Lights?
You may have to trace trace all those wires to find where they go. Do you have a tester or meter?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Are there any accessories on the bike? Lights?
Only thing ever noted was an added on cigarette lighter. But it works off a different circuit and I've replaced it with a power connector to charge my cell phone. Everything else seems to be stock based on the 1986 Aspencade 'Owners Manual'.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Take it off and mail it to me??? haha

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Best to pull the false tank off to start and go from there. That's the only way to know. Follow them to where they go. Make sure there are no uncapped ends.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yep,,,,, you'll have to trace the wires. You should have a meter or at least a test light to make sure there are no LIVE wires. Test with the switches Off AND On.

And if you decide to add anything such as lights,,,,,,just remember that the 1200's are noted for the stator to fail if there is too much draw at once.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

DrifterTex wrote:
Take it off and mail it to me??? haha
LOL... I think I might try to trace the wiring out to see where it goes/went and maybe establish something like that. I'm thinking maybe the original owner had extra lights that these went to and pulled them off when he sold the Aspy to the second owner. I'm the 3rd owner and the PO said he never had anything additional attached.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Tracing is what I'm thinking of doing. Can't guarantee that the switch box isn't still hooked up but the toggle switches are the "lighted type" and none of them show lights when the switches are flipped. Better to assumed that the switch box is still active and handle it as if they're live instead of making a mistake.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
And if you decide to add anything such as lights,,,,,,just remember that the 1200's are noted for the stator to fail if there is too much draw at once.
I really don't have any plans to add additional lights. I've become aware of the stator potential problems from reading these forums which has answered a lot of questions already... a real gold mine of Wing information here!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Nice Aspen! @34k it's brand spanking NEW! Is that a factory color?

Is it already Poorboyded? (I just invented a verb)

I've seen pictures of those switches somewhere else. I wish my memory was like 20 years ago.

I really like your left pocket (it's not flat like mine) If you find a brand name on the pocket; or the lights -back to subject- please do tell. By the way, are those switches lighted?

Looks like your handlebar controls, and perhaps other unpainted plastics need a bit of armor all in repeated sessions to loose that ashy look. The way I do mine is I have this clean paint brush designated specifically for this purpose. Spray the armor all into the brush instead of the bike, and then brush into ONLY the area that I want to treat, instead of spraying it everywhere.

Looks like you're in the "honemoon phase" getting to know the bike. Yeah I know, "honeymoon phase" has a weird connotation when it involves "previous owner" on the same sentence or even in the same paragraph. (makes anyone jealous)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Bufallowing wrote:
Nice Aspen! @34k it's brand spanking NEW! Is that a factory color?

Is it already Poorboyded? (I just invented a verb)

I've seen pictures of those switches somewhere else. I wish my memory was like 20 years ago.

I really like your left pocket (it's not flat like mine) If you find a brand name on the pocket; or the lights -back to subject- please do tell. By the way, are those switches lighted?

Looks like your handlebar controls, and perhaps other unpainted plastics need a bit of armor all in repeated sessions to loose that ashy look. The way I do mine is I have this clean paint brush designated specifically for this purpose. Spray the armor all into the brush instead of the bike, and then brush into ONLY the area that I want to treat, instead of spraying it everywhere.

Looks like you're in the "honemoon phase" getting to know the bike. Yeah I know, "honeymoon phase" has a weird connotation when it involves "previous owner" on the same sentence or even in the same paragraph. (makes anyone jealous)
(1) I don't believe the color is factory. There's also painted pin-striping in different places.

(2) Not Poorboyed... and nice wording. ;-)

(3) I wish my memory was as good as it was yesterday, let alone 20 years ago.

(4) Great idea on the paint brush and Armorall. I've managed to bring the controls on the left handlebar back to shiny after SEVERAL applications so will use your idea to work on the right side.

(5) YUP... honeymoon still in progress and learning all the time. :-]

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

cant really tell what year your bike is, but really do like the color,whoever repainted it did an excellent job,evidently an earlier PO installed alot of accessories which has since been removed
the left pocket was made by Hopnel,no longer available but occasionally come up on ebay,they also made one that fits over the right hard cover,they made same style as the left plus ones that had an extra cigarette style pocket sewn in

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

My 1500 came with the leftside set. Also seem to be hooked to nothing. Not shure what I would need one switch for let alone four.

I guess the question is does anyone have one of these that is actually doing something. And what is it doin

wilf HAPPY NEW YEAR

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yup, mine has it on both clutch and brake from original owner. All but one switch are being used on various lights that the original owner put on, from 2 sets of driving lights, fog lights, Ring of Fire & fork lights, Trailer lights switch, Main headlight switch, all to be able to cut to draw if the alternator quit and you might not make it home with out shutting off big drain items. He put on almost every accessory he could find back in 99-2000.
I've taken some off, heel toe and highway floorboards, 12 cd player in the trunk.
A friend of mine calls my bike my 'Buick'. But he is a purist sport biker. Tours on his Triumph Tiger 955 dual sport. packs light, wears cloths till they get dirty, buys new and ships dirty home.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Here is another place to get them, cheaper too!

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/3123
Great link! Now I can see how the cover slipped over the brake master cylinder. Guess I'll just leave it on for now. Looks like it was made for the 1500's but the original owner got it to work on the 1986 GL1200.

Good job fellas!!!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

neoracer wrote:
cant really tell what year your bike is, but really do like the color,whoever repainted it did an excellent job,evidently an earlier PO installed alot of accessories which has since been removed
the left pocket was made by Hopnel,no longer available but occasionally come up on ebay,they also made one that fits over the right hard cover,they made same style as the left plus ones that had an extra cigarette style pocket sewn in
She's a 1986 Aspencade and I do get LOTS of good comments on the paint job. I've nicknamed her "Green-Eyed Lady" after the old Sugarloaf song as that's the first thing that came to me when I saw her and immediately fell in love. She has a few nicks/scratches on her but I can live with it as the overall look is still pristine.

Thanks for finding the info on the left fairing pocket leather cover. I neglected to answer that part of Bufallowing's original response. It's terrific for putting my wallet, smokes and other small pocket items into while riding that I'd remove when I stop somewhere.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Yup, mine has it on both clutch and brake from original owner. All but one switch are being used on various lights that the original owner put on, from 2 sets of driving lights, fog lights, Ring of Fire & fork lights, Trailer lights switch, Main headlight switch, all to be able to cut to draw if the alternator quit and you might not make it home with out shutting off big drain items. He put on almost every accessory he could find back in 99-2000.
I'm thinking that is what the OO put on my Wing and then removed when he sold it 7 years ago to the PO. I understand that the OO bought a newer bike back then and then probably just saved his add-on lights for the newer bike.

No lights were added to the saddle bags or the trunk as there are no holes of any kind in them and I don't see any "rub marks" from braces or brackets. I'm assuming that the additional lights were bolted on somewhere/somehow and that's why there are no traces of them now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.