Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone know of an alternative to the pricey Honda parts for this? I want them on hand before I start replacing the timing belts. Thanks!!! WyoWinger

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Can't be had I'm afraid. I know a few chapter guys were looking for aftermarket 1200 hoses and they all ended up buying from mother H. You can get them for the 1100 but the 1200 ones are different.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

On the other forums there is no info on aftermarket 1200 hoses either. Looks like the Honda ones I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I'll look around in the postings.. Somewhere back there I remember an automotive radiator hose (Dayco or Gates) for about $6.00 us that you just trim to length.. As soon as I find it I'll post it.. .

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
I'll look around in the postings.. Somewhere back there I remember an automotive radiator hose (Dayco or Gates) for about $6.00 us that you just trim to length.. As soon as I find it I'll post it.. .
That would be great news. Its nice to be able to save some cash over the Honda bits.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I think I remember seeing that also, possibly on WOTI. What they did is go to an auto parts store with the upper hose from the Wing and matched it up, then cut offthe excess to be used as the lower hose, if my memory serves me correctly.

Vic

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

You should be able to match it with a generic hose from a auto part store. There is no difference between a cycle radiator hose and a auto radiator hose. It will save you big $$$

That's what I've used for intake manifolds for Yamaha carbs. (radiator hoses) A short piece of rubber hose from Yamaha is 35.00 each. Do you know how many radiator hoses you can buy with 35.00? (grant it they don't last as long, but I can handle the price a lot better)

As my boss says "think outside the box"

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

corneo wrote:
You should be able to match it with a generic hose from a auto part store. There is no difference between a cycle radiator hose and a auto radiator hose.
But will the auto hose have the bends? If you put a straight hose on and try to bend it (assuming the GL1200 one has a bend or two) then it will just fold itself closed. I did this with a car hose once and it didn't work, had to go and buy the main dealer one with the appropriate bends.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

The part you really want to match is the inside dimension of the hose.
If there is a bend in the old hose,find a hose with the bend you need.(and dimension) The new hosemay have more than 1 bend in it. That is when you need to cut the new hose to match the old hose.
It will take a little creative thinking on your part, but in the end you'll feel great about the savings you gained.

From looking at a on-line schematic chart. It looks like (1) 90 degree turn and(1) short straight piece of hose. That should be easy to find.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Check out NAPA #7733 in the U.S. supposed to be able to make both hoses out of one of these.

Paul W.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You'r right Exavid.. Napa 7733 radiator hose is the number and will make both the upper and lower hoses...Also WyoWinger, while the radiator is out, check thethermostat. Use Stant #45868 and match the oem temperature rating. Radiator cap isNapa #703-2445. Check the timing belts too..Use any manufacturer that carries the timing belt for a 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 cyl. It fits perfectly..Good luck and let us all know how this turns out.. Renegade

Reactions: crowesnest3

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!! GREAT site. Lots of GREAT advice too! I just kew that someone would have figured this fix out without breaking their wallet! WyoWinger :clapper::clapper::waving:

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
imported post

If you use the Napa hose you can make both upper and lower out of it and the fit is great.If you try to match it and wind up with a Goodyear the hose will be about an 1/8 inch bigger in the inside diameter even though they say its an exact match.I discovered this when I did my waterpump this spring and went to Murrays to get a hose. I wound up going to Napa for a new hose and also got a new radiator cap when i was there.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Here are some of the part numbers that I have gleaned from this site for the 1200

- thermostat: NAPA part no. 33488 $12.00
- rad cap: NAPA part no. 31333 $18.69
- radiator hose: NAPA part no. 7733 (one piece; needs to be cut) $17.99

Timing belt: T070 Made by Goodyear about $12 each

Advance Auto Parts, a suitable substitution for the Honda boot .
The Monroe Shock Mate Boot Kit Part no# SA1997 I paid 5 bucks each.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

If anyone in Australia is looking for non genuine replacement hoses for the GL1200 try the Ford EA Falcon hose. Unfortunately I forget which one now, but I think it was the one from the header tank to the radiator. I was able to cut both top and bottom hoses from it with the bend perfectly matching the original Honda hose.

John

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Check out NAPA #7733 in the U.S. supposed to be able to make both hoses out of one of these.

Paul W.
Your right Paul,I used the 7733 this past summer, it was around $12.00

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.