Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have had issues with my radio Panasonic RM1300 for several years. And finally decided to look into this forum on replacing new aftermarket radio into GL1200. There's a tread posted on this forum by a member from Illinois on "aftermarket radio connection from GL1200". After reading is over and over I decide to give it a try.

On GL1200, the old Panasonic can be control by remote switch on the left handle bar and it is also connected to auto volume. I imagine cruising along highways with retro music from my iPhone playlists or answering call from wifey with the phone in my pocket all the time. And it would be awesome to have all radio control/system on board works the way it is with the new radio.

With a bit of help from schematic of GL1200 radio connector i found in the manual, and few enhancements to the suggestions in the post mentioned earlier, I managed to transplanted the new bluetooth radio player into GL1200 docking system/connector, and ALL WORKS!!! the radio works, auto volume works, the remote switch on the left handle bar works as well. So i can tune up or down efforlessly. The mute switch works too. (NOTE: my CB has not been use for sometimes so it is not of my concern)

Of course the new radio set do not have the headset/speaker changeover switch, so I added one. And that work as well.

New mods I made to my wing;
1. New bluetooth radio
2. Mod for the radio connections
3. New change over switch for headset/speakers
4. Audio amplifier for headset.

For those who are interested in transplanting a new radio into your wing here is some tips on what you need to do;

1. Buy a radio, 1-DIN non CD player unit.
I bought MF102BT on ebay
Dec2012 003.jpg
- this is an in dash unit, with SD, USB, Bluetooth, radio/stereo player, and you want to find a 1-DIN non CD player unit, yes just USB/SD and bluetooth (in my case i look for an iPhone friendly player).

Typically, 12v radio/stereo player are designed for cars. The 1-DIN non CD player unit, will allow you to cut the chassis shorter, I cut 20mm shorter the depth of the chassis using metal cutter. Use drill to make new holes for the attaching screws.
Dec2012 004.jpg
make sure to cut the metal chassis properly, all around along the front panel to make the total depth of assembled unit to about 100mm. This will allow installation of connector behind this radio unit. This connector will allow connection into the dock inside the dash/fairing.
Dec2012 005.jpg
After cutting it to size - total 100mm depth, the chassis + connector will flushed into the dash nicely. See the pic below. i added Battery Bug in old clock spot. Dont need the clock as it is on the radio display already.
Dec2012 017.jpg

Ok its past midnight all, gotta go now. Tomorrow I will cover the mod we need to do on the radio wiring and its new connections to the docking port of GL1200 radio system.

Goodnight.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Good to hear someone has finally done this to work with the hand controller.
And Bluetooth!
Be sure to post the wiring diagrams too.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
nice job ! I want to change but it would have to look perfect. did the radio faceplate come with that radio in the proper length ?

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
does the intercom from driver to pasanger still work too?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice job ! I want to change but it would have to look perfect. did the radio faceplate come with that radio in the proper length ?
Mclock, the face plate right next & around the radio come together. pic 1 is without it on, pic 4 is with the faceplate on, I glued it (CA glue) on a black 3mm plastic cut out that hold the radio and the battery bug meter and attached it back to the dash using 2 allen heads. I will post the dimension of my cutout soon.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Nope. Didn't try to make that work yet. May be in my next project. Hmmm
OK lets go now. Some of us are checking for your updates every few minutes. OK J/K

My question is where did you get the big 3mm plastic plate ? If I am seeing that correct you also removed the original clock from the dash.

I think I can get the wiring myself plus it should be much easier for me as I have no desire to have a blue tooth or talk on a phone while I am riding.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
You can buy different thickness ABS sheet goods at any plastic sheet goods supplier to make your own faceplate.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK lets go now. Some of us are checking for your updates every few minutes. OK J/K

My question is where did you get the big 3mm plastic plate ? If I am seeing that correct you also removed the original clock from the dash.

I think I can get the wiring myself plus it should be much easier for me as I have no desire to have a blue tooth or talk on a phone while I am riding.
I bought my 3mm plastic sheet from a hobby shop in town. Try Lowes, Home Depot or even Amazon.com, ask for "ABS plastic sheet", they come in many colors, I use black, matt finishes cut to the final size needed for the radio and the bug is 278mm x 66mm.

The cut out on it are;
1. for the radio, 170mm x 46mm, I let 20mm space on left & right sides and 10mm top/bottom space. if you want to reuse the harness connector and the radio rail/slider on your new radio like i decided on mine, you have to observe the cut out dimensions properly to make you the cut out and the railing aligned properly.
2. for the bug, I just place it on the plastic and tie with 2 screws. and drill a hole for the wires.

I like cruising with tim mcgraw on the radio, via bluetooth from my iPhone. It synced automatically when turn the key. And the bluetooth also allow me to answer iphone just like on CB

Keep riding.....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Hey Preach, welcome to the forum.
I don't think anyone sells such a harness. They are easy to make yourself.
Start a new thread and you'll get all the help you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All. I have had issues with my radio Panasonic RM1300 for several years. And finally decided to look into this forum on replacing new aftermarket radio into GL1200. There's a tread posted on this forum by a member from Illinois on "aftermarket radio connection from GL1200". After reading is over and over I decide to give it a try.

On GL1200, the old Panasonic can be control by remote switch on the left handle bar and it is also connected to auto volume. I imagine cruising along highways with retro music from my iPhone playlists or answering call from wifey with the phone in my pocket all the time. And it would be awesome to have all radio control/system on board works the way it is with the new radio.

With a bit of help from schematic of GL1200 radio connector i found in the manual, and few enhancements to the suggestions in the post mentioned earlier, I managed to transplanted the new bluetooth radio player into GL1200 docking system/connector, and ALL WORKS!!! the radio works, auto volume works, the remote switch on the left handle bar works as well. So i can tune up or down efforlessly. The mute switch works too. (NOTE: my CB has not been use for sometimes so it is not of my concern)

Of course the new radio set do not have the headset/speaker changeover switch, so I added one. And that work as well.

New mods I made to my wing;
1. New bluetooth radio
2. Mod for the radio connections
3. New change over switch for headset/speakers
4. Audio amplifier for headset.

For those who are interested in transplanting a new radio into your wing here is some tips on what you need to do;

1. Buy a radio, 1-DIN non CD player unit.
I bought MF102BT on ebay
View attachment 48466
- this is an in dash unit, with SD, USB, Bluetooth, radio/stereo player, and you want to find a 1-DIN non CD player unit, yes just USB/SD and bluetooth (in my case i look for an iPhone friendly player).

Typically, 12v radio/stereo player are designed for cars. The 1-DIN non CD player unit, will allow you to cut the chassis shorter, I cut 20mm shorter the depth of the chassis using metal cutter. Use drill to make new holes for the attaching screws.
View attachment 48467
make sure to cut the metal chassis properly, all around along the front panel to make the total depth of assembled unit to about 100mm. This will allow installation of connector behind this radio unit. This connector will allow connection into the dock inside the dash/fairing.
View attachment 48468
After cutting it to size - total 100mm depth, the chassis + connector will flushed into the dash nicely. See the pic below. i added Battery Bug in old clock spot. Dont need the clock as it is on the radio display already.
View attachment 48469

Ok its past midnight all, gotta go now. Tomorrow I will cover the mod we need to do on the radio wiring and its new connections to the docking port of GL1200 radio system.

Goodnight.
Do you still have the OEM radio? I don't have one and need one something awful please pay it forward if your old one is just laying in a drawer taking up space, I will pay shipping. Cant pay much more than that.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Did you come up with a schematic of how you incorporated the hand controls with your new radio? I am going to tackle a similar project soon and would appreciate any help I can get to make it easier to work out the wiring!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any update?

I am also seriously looking to swap mine out as well. The Cassette desk is on its way out. Please post an update!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Subscribed!
Looking forward to hearing how you got this working!

P.s., how does the display work on the head unit in the sun? Easy to read? How about with polarized sun glasses? I've found some displays black out with pole raised glasses, but usually only if you tilt your head one way or another.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
Hey, KDog & Colorado,
I don't think anybody is going to reply here. These old posts just quietly die, and if the OP hasn't updated in a year & a half...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, KDog & Colorado,
I don't think anybody is going to reply here. These old posts just quietly die, and if the OP hasn't updated in a year & a half...
Worth a shot. I know I've sub'ed to some of my old threads, and someone magically finds them to post on and I get a notification.
Figured the dumbest question Apis one never asked :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.