Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, first Honda. New to me 84 Aspencade. Long list of restoration/maintenance catch up stuff I am doing but finally got to pull the carbs. My question to the experts today is... the plastic "air box cover" is partially melted and I have only a couple guesses why; can anyone shed some light on this?

Started it up for the first time after it had been sitting for several years. Ran like crap as expected with a bunch of Seafoam in the tank and I expect crud in the carbs (but it runs so my $500 investment was not so foolish!). After running on the stand for a couple minutes there was a puddle of fuel under the bike. The whole area under the carbs was wet so I couldn't isolate the problem and I have been reluctant to try and duplicate the experiment. Upon removing the carbs I noticed the melted cover (corner closest to the right front carb), and the outside of that carb covered in what looks like "dryed fuel shellac". In addition, the inside of the airbox is REALLY dirty and a thin layer of the same brown crud. The screens are dark brown.

My theories
  • could this all be from bad backfire? Air cut valve replacement to the rescue?
  • could the right front carb have an issue that would cause it leak into the airbox? Stuck float?
  • the tracking device implanted by aliens is causing a fuel feedback loop?

Also, does anyone know a good source for a replacement part? I have checked 6 or 10 online parts houses with zero available.

I would obviously like to nail this down before I get her back on the road. The idea of a major gasoline fire between my legs doesn't sound like fun :/

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
1st of all, welcome to your forum, and congrats on filling out all of your profile so well.

2nd, this link on SearchTempest popped up one real quick.

2nd item listed on that link above: 1987 HONDA GL1200 ASPENCADE AIR BOX COVER LID TOP | eBay

there are a lot of them listed, so just follow the 1st link down to see the rest.

enjoy the forum.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
I think the o-ring kits are still available from Honda. Best parts and lowest prices.

Another source for "kits" is Randakk's Cycle Shack. They have a good rep here.

And, if you're going to do the carbs, I really recommend you clean the tank and replace the fuel and vacuum lines as well.

Most other parts can be had from eBay. Except the needles. Do only Keihen for those.

Oh, and you may need to replace the diaphragms as well.

Hope your 5 bills investment doesn't turn into 30 on you. It often does on these things.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.
And a note of importance; Lots of parts on the '84s are not interchangeable with other years. Be careful and ask questions here from the 1200 gurus.

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Joe,welcome.I think I have an extra cover for my 1100.if its the same as your 1200,you can have it for shipping cost.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.
And a note of importance; Lots of parts on the '84s are not interchangeable with other years. Be careful and ask questions here from the 1200 gurus.

Where are you located?
look at his Signature 'bike'
Watertown WI

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Joe,welcome.I think I have an extra cover for my 1100.if its the same as your 1200,you can have it for shipping cost.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
No, it's not what he needs.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
Don't know why the plastic melted but you may as well bite the bullet and overhaul the carbs. 1200s are pretty simple and comparatively cheap to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st of all, welcome to your forum, and congrats on filling out all of your profile so well.

2nd item listed on that link above: 1987 HONDA GL1200 ASPENCADE AIR BOX COVER LID TOP | eBay

there are a lot of them listed, so just follow the 1st link down to see the rest.

enjoy the forum.
enjoy the forum.

enjoy the forum.
Sadly that is not the part I need. I need the cover that is on top of the carb assembly. (The bottom of the air filter, not the top).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the o-ring kits are still available from Honda. Best parts and lowest prices.

Another source for "kits" is Randakk's Cycle Shack. They have a good rep here.

And, if you're going to do the carbs, I really recommend you clean the tank and replace the fuel and vacuum lines as well.

Most other parts can be had from eBay. Except the needles. Do only Keihen for those.

Oh, and you may need to replace the diaphragms as well.

Hope your 5 bills investment doesn't turn into 30 on you. It often does on these things.
Thanks, yes...I was hoping to push the carb job off to winter and get the bike on the road before the weather turns up here in WI. But now that I'm in it...carb overhaul, new fuel lines (might be source of leak). Got all my brake rebuilt parts from Randakks. Sadly they are out of stock for the 1200 carb kits so I had to go elsewhere.

With all the parts so far (battery, caliper rebuilds, plugs, timing belts, fluids, etc...) I'm in for about $1000. All the major systems seem to be in good shape otherwise. Dash, radio, lights, starter, stator, compressor and shocks all work well. There are a few things that will need some custom work (like the "arm rest" pocket that a mouse chewed up) but otherwise it should be ready to ride. Big project over winter is GF wants it painted :).

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
All the parts come off the 12 pretty easily. Fairing take the longest at about an hour.

So, painting isn't that big of a job, but make her do the sanding. .:devilish:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, painting isn't that big of a job, but make her do the sanding. .:devilish:
I will probably pay it done. House painting I'm pretty good at, getting a smooth finish with auto paint...not so much :)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
Oh, the plenum cover. Yeah, many of the early ones look melted. Most of the used ones are stripped out too, so a good one will be hard to find.

I thought you meant #11.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 4 cylinder carbs are finicky and take some determination to sort out. My 1200 was off th eroad for over 10 years and it took me removing the carb rack two times to get them to work. Now it is perfect. I don't think your air cutoff is causing the fuel leak. Most likely it is an o'ring or a fuel line. All of the rubber needs to be replaced. You will need to do something about the fuel lines.
The OEM Honda parts are no longer available. I used 5.5mm elbows and hose to plumb mine. Sounds like your fuel pump is working. that is good. I paid $500 for mine. I'm into it for about $3600. I'm sure it is better than a running 1200 $2-3000 1200 used on the market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, the plenum cover. Yeah, many of the early ones look melted. Most of the used ones are stripped out too, so a good one will be hard to find.

I thought you meant #11.
It not horribly out of shape. Torch with a spreader tip should sort it out. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts