Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 gl1200 A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My 1984 Aspincade has an air suspension mystery. I can hear the compressor working, I can see that it starting to pump air into the suspensions, but after 2 sec all air comes out.
That is the situation from day one when I got the motorcycle abut a year ago. It didn’t mine me but after replacing the rear tire, when I'm with another person on the bike, the rear tire is rubbing with the mudguard.
Any suggestion where to start looking resolving the issue?

Thanks,
Micky

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
Hi Micky,
not familiar with that bike, but curious as to your location?
It helps the readers to make proper suggestions for you, if you need parts?

your IP address suggests
Liechtenstein
is that anywhere near correct?

·
Registered
1984 gl1200 A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

I'm located in Israel, but I can order parts from all over the world if needed.
It is not my primary motorcycle.

Thanks,
Micky

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
you must be using a VPN :)
Israel is a long ways from Liechtenstein ;)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Hi and welcome. Isreal...is that in Mississippi? .. :devilish:

There are air hoses running all over the bike. If you can hear air escaping, I'd guess it is a hose and should be easy to track down. Look under the seat first. Then under the fake tank. The compressor is on the right side of the bike under the fairing lower, I think.

Also, are the shocks, front or rear, leaking fluid?

·
Registered
1983 gl1100
41 Posts
Hi all,
My 1984 Aspincade has an air suspension mystery. I can hear the compressor working, I can see that it starting to pump air into the suspensions, but after 2 sec all air comes out.
That is the situation from day one when I got the motorcycle abut a year ago. It didn’t mine me but after replacing the rear tire, when I'm with another person on the bike, the rear tire is rubbing with the mudguard.
Any suggestion where to start looking resolving the issue?

Thanks,
Micky
My best guess would be an air line. On my 1983 Aspencade, the compressor works and the gauge shows air in the shocks. That said, when I rebuilt the shocks last year and disconnected the air lines from the shocks, the dash gauge was still showing 45 psi I turned on the the compressor and ran it up to 70 psi and and the gauge held, but zero air was escaping the open air line.

A quick solution until I was able to tear the bike apart, was to run a "T" connector between the shocks with an air fitting on the center of the "T" and use a hand pump to get the pressure you want. or you could use a "Cross Fitting" and install a low PSI gauge as well.

That said, I still have to check my Forks, as I may be having the same problem there, but I'm rebuilding them later this month anyhow.

I'll be replacing all my air lines with Sinflex in the process, as fittings are more available, and you don't have collapsing rubber issues.

The fix above will get you on the road in a couple of hours, once you start replacing air lines, I'm sure you'll find other projects along the way as I did and you'll miss a good part of the riding season.

Good Luck. Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts