Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been in touch with a fellow that has had a pulley made for his bike and is seeking if it would be viable to have a # of them made for sale on his site & I have also talked to a machinist here in Canada who just be able to make them up as well for a good price. I will be showing a couple of pics to show this. The difference between this and others it that these have been machined on the crank end to fit inside the timing belt crank pulley & has a notch out to fit the tab on the inner part of the timing pulley. Let me know if you are interested. Just now the estimate is for about 100 dollars each or less.
Also I had a suggestion that I would like to run by you all. I have thought about the use of a felt washer between the pulley & the timing covers, to cut down on the insersion of dust into the timing belt area. There has been a lot of concern about these conversions about water & dirt getting into the covers & I thought of this would be a cheap & easy fix. The washer only needs to be thick enough to fit snuggly in behind the pulley & have a hole the same size as the bolt or even a couple of thou smaller. This drag would cause no drag on the system @ all.

I have lost the "G" for posting pics so I will try this.

Attachments

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I think I may have to get rid of Google Chrome as it seems that I can't post more than one piuc at a time. here is the new crank pulley.

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That looks very neat Angela, well done.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

englishted wrote:
That looks very neat Angela, well done.
Thanks Ted.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

You did good on that Angela, the pulley looks perfect. Any idea of costs?
The washer is a good idea. The only reservation I would have is that it means the hole cut in the covers would have to be pretty accurate for the washer not to get dislodged and fall in. If it did fall in, it could do more damage than the dust it was meant to keep out.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
I think I may have to get rid of Google Chrome as it seems that I can't post more than one piuc at a time. here is the new crank pulley.
I have Chrome too, and it does not display pictures properly these days either.:?:?

I had to refresh a few times to get your pic's to fully show.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

choppas wrote:
You did good on that Angela, the pulley looks perfect. Any idea of costs?
The washer is a good idea. The only reservation I would have is that it means the hole cut in the covers would have to be pretty accurate for the washer not to get dislodged and fall in. If it did fall in, it could do more damage than the dust it was meant to keep out.
Tom as for the cost, Probably between 50 & 100 bucks but we have two sources checking & it will depend on the run ( amt. needed). As for the washer, I 'm talking a washer about 2" in diameter & if anyone carves a hole anywhere that big desevest to have it fall in.:DAlso I was thinking in the area of about3/16 -1/4" thick. If the diameter of the pulley shaft is 3/4", then I will cut the hole @ 7/8" Angela

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hoodad463 wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
I have Chrome too, and it does not display pictures properly these days either.:?:?

I had to refresh a few times to get your pic's to fully show.
There seem to be a lot of great features with Chrome but it only lasted 24 hrs on my laptop. Just too many things I did not like. And anything that interferes with my forums is out of here!:D It is a shame too because I use Google exclusively for all my searching.:bow::bow::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
I think I may have to get rid of Google Chrome as it seems that I can't post more than one piuc at a time.
That's a forum limitation and has nothing to do with your browser.
If you wish to put multiple pictures in one post just add them to your gallery then link them in your post.

The felt seal maybe an idea as it would be sandwiched between the cover and back side of the pulley, the cover being stepped between the halves would prevent the felt from turning so there would be little danger of it falling into the belt area, you could even glue the felt to one of the covers to be sure.

By the way and in my humble opinion the evil of Google is second only to that of Microsoft but they're working on it and may catch up soon.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Great job on the pulley Angela. As for the washer the problem I see is that it will be riding against the spinning pulley. Even a small imperfection in the pulley can catch the felt causing it to spin and I imagine it will chew up against the hole cut it the timing cover. You could affix it with some sealant but if that sealant happens to failsame issue. I think the key would lie in cutting a precisely sizedand clean hole in the cover and not worrying about it. Seems pretty well protected by the overlap of the pulley itself plus it's location behind the radiator.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
I think I may have to get rid of Google Chrome as it seems that I can't post more than one piuc at a time.
That's a forum limitation and has nothing to do with your browser.
If you wish to put multiple pictures in one post just add them to your gallery then link them in your post.

By the way and in my humble opinion the evil of Google is second only to that of Microsoft but they're working on it and may catch up soon.:action:
Yeh Ken that is what I thought too but with Chrome there was no "G" for the galley download & only one "browse" & "add file" @ the bottom. Once I uninstalled Chrome everything was back to normal. Nothing comes between me & my forums.:D:D:D:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Great job on the pulley Angela. As for the washer the problem I see is that it will be riding against the spinning pulley. Even a small imperfection in the pulley can catch the felt causing it to spin and I imagine it will chew up against the hole cut it the timing cover. You could affix it with some sealant but if that sealant happens to failsame issue. I think the key would lie in cutting a precisely sizedand clean hole in the cover and not worrying about it. Seems pretty well protected by the overlap of the pulley itself plus it's location behind the radiator.
Sam this may be out of line so forgive me. I didn't make that pulley. Dan Filipi had it mad for his bike. He is inquireing into how much for multiple pulleies & I have a member here that is a machinist & is going to find out the same thing from the company he works for. If there is enough demand, we could probably get them reasonable price. As for the washer, I don't think that would happen but even if it did we could always glue it to one of the covers as Ken said above.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
Sam this may be out of line so forgive me. I didn't make that pulley. Dan Filipi had it mad for his bike. He is inquireing into how much for multiple pulleies & I have a member here that is a machinist & is going to find out the same thing from the company he works for. If there is enough demand, we could probably get them reasonable price. As for the washer, I don't think that would happen but even if it did we could always glue it to one of the covers as Ken said above.:waving::waving:
Not out of line at all. I also mentioned securing it with glue (sealant) to the cover I was just pointing out a possibility although I thinkit's unlikely to cause any harm evenif it did become loose. Seems like the pulley is pretty well made and a good design.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
I also mentioned securing it with glue (sealant) to the cover I was just pointing out a possibility although I thinkit's unlikely to cause any harm evenif it did become loose.
I'm sorry that I missed your reference to gluing the felt to one of the covers.
I must learn to read all the posts before adding a reply.:smiler:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
I also mentioned securing it with glue (sealant) to the cover I was just pointing out a possibility although I thinkit's unlikely to cause any harm evenif it did become loose.
I'm sorry that I missed your reference to gluing the felt to one of the covers.
I must learn to read all the posts before adding a reply.:smiler:
Actually Ken I'm the one who missed it. You posted the suggestion about 30 minutes before me!:smiler:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I think a thin piece of felt glued to the covers would do the trick, I think its a fantasic idea...The keyed pulley is good tooand a 4" is even better...:claps:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

A 4" pulley would be ideal with my 2.25" alt pulley. I could get charging at idle instead of 1200 rpm with the 3.5" crank pulley I have now. Keyed is also good but isn't absolutely necessary.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Interesting....... Good design I like it.

Switching over to a poor boy type kit would be nice.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

I would be interested in the pric as well.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.