Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock tire on my interstate no longer holds air. And it is a 150/90r15 and I got a good deal on a 170/80r15 and was wondering of anyone knew if that tore will work on my interstate ? The guy I got it from said it would fit on his aspencade. Anybody know if it will fit?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

A tire chart that may help https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

I'd say that a 170 sounds a bit wide and may rub on the swing arm. What brand of tire is it? One thing you need to watch is the load rating on tires when it comes to the wing. The Wing weighs quite a bit more than your normal cruiser style bike that the wider tires usually go on.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Also, how old is the tire you received? If its more than 7 years old, I wouldn`t use it. Also check the tire valve stem. Probably the reason tire isn`t holding air.
Tom Bishop

`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I just looked up a lot of the load ratings for the 'recommended' front tires for the GL1200, many are 67, a couple are 72, and many more are 73. I don't think the load rating of the front tire is anywhere near as important as the rear tire which at 73/74 is easily overloaded riding two up and loaded.

I am about to install a Battleaxe rear tire onto my front rim, it has the exact size specs, but only a 67 load rating (same as many of the recommended front tires), the main advantage being it has twice the tread depth of any front tire available.

I have also replaced the rear wheel ect. with parts from a GL1500, this gives me a stronger (more load ability) rear tire, heavier double row bearings, wider rim/tire and also a bigger and thicker rotor for much better rear braking control. My hope is to be able to fit an Austone Taxi tire in there in the near future. Presently it has the EIII 160/70/16 on it and it just fits past the differential deflated with the differential bolts loosened, but once installed it fits fine, I just do not like this tire due to its cupping and loud noise traits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.